Commentator Sought for 2015 Braunston Rally

Black Ibis

Featured Posts

Braunston Historic Narrow Boat Rally is looking for a new commentator for the parade next year, as this will be the wonderful Norman Mitchell's last year. Braunston are looking for someone who would like to take on this role for the next few years and be Norman’s ’apprentice’ this year. The role could be shared between several people.

Qualifications are – a good knowledge of historic boats; a sense of humour without offending anyone; the ability to stand on the marina bridge in all weathers for hours at a time.

Mooring will be provided. Contact Libby if interested libby@braunstonmarina.co.uk

Frankly speaking having commentated at Birmingham in 2000 - 2003 its a very hard job to do and I take my hat off to anyone who volunteers. With so many boats looking the same its hard to know which Josher is coming at you from a distance, we had BW guys on the towpath with radios to advance warn us.

Qualifications are – a good knowledge of historic boats; a sense of humour without offending anyone; the ability to stand on the marina bridge in all weathers for hours at a time.

To be fair, I think Norman may have failed that one on a number of occasions.

For example his comments about "lady" steerers can be taken as more condescending than humourous sometimes.

Perhaps stating the obvious, but most of those with real historic boat knowledge at Braunston will either own a boat, or be trying to blag rides on other people's.

So many people who might do an excellent job will not actually be available.

To be fair, I think Norman may have failed that one on a number of occasions.

For example his comments about "lady" steerers can be taken as more condescending than humourous sometimes.

Perhaps stating the obvious, but most of those with real historic boat knowledge at Braunston will either own a boat, or be trying to blag rides on other people's.

So many people who might do an excellent job will not actually be available.

Maybe though it wouldn't be that difficult for someone who owned a historic boat to entrust it to somebody else, like a lady steerer they may just happen to married to so they could take up the mike for the weekend?

You would just need 'pace notes', like a rally driver .........

I have listened to Normans comments about steerers male and female over the years, and he seems quite guarded as to what he says to whom unless he knows them well. From the reaction of said steerer at the time, it is taken in good part as banter.

I think the perception of insult is taken more by others, than the steerer he was actually talking to.

Edited by jake_crew