Hot Hot Flojet Water Pump

Jim Batty

Featured Posts

Last night I noticed our Flojet "Quad II Diaphragm" water pump (model 4300 series) sounded like it was labouring in slow motion -- a very slow and long groaning version of its usually quick sounding pump action.

After using the water tap a bit this morning the water system suddenly cut out. So went to look at the pump (something of a challenge!), which is on a micro breaker switch. The breaker switch to the pump was still on (it hadn't automatically switched off), but the motor was as hot as a stove top. Really hot.

Is this a burnt out motor? What would cause this?

Thanks for any help or advice as I haven't dealt with a pump before.

sounds like it jammed and burnt out the motor is trying to turn and is not switching off or running and not able to reach turn off pressure. Turn off the water at the tank drain and remove the pump dismantle and see if there is something jamming the impeller or blocking the inlet filter.

Thanks Bagdad Boatman

Sounds like good advice. Except the motor was so hot, and there was a bit of that 'electrical burn' smell, that I'm now pretty sure the motor is fried. I rang Jabsco and apparently they no longer sell the motor alone, so the whole pump unit will need to be replaced.

Sounds like a faulty pressure switch but could also be or poor or inadequate wiring, bad connections meaning the pump isn't getting enough voltage and is almost stalling before reaching cut out pressure.

Could be best to replace whole pump but check the old/new one was/is getting a healthy voltage at the motor while running with the tap open just enough to stop cycling. Also fit the recommended fuse/breaker size for the new one too.

Still might be worth trying a repair on the old one in time, the motor might be OK after all, they often have a thermal cutout.

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Sounds like a faulty pressure switch but could also be or poor or inadequate wiring, bad connections meaning the pump isn't getting enough voltage and is almost stalling before reaching cut out pressure.

Could be best to replace whole pump but check the old/new one was/is getting a healthy voltage at the motor while running with the tap open just enough to stop cycling. Also fit the recommended fuse/breaker size for the new one too.

Still might be worth trying a repair on the old one in time, the motor might be OK after all, they often have a thermal cutout.

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Thanks Pete

I've ordered a whole new unit. (They don't sell just motors anymore. And, after 8 years full-time use, it's probably good to have a new one with the old pump as back up spare parts.) The new ones are supposed to have a heat cut-out. I can't imagine this old one having a heat cut-out - I literally jumped when I touched it about 10 or 15 minutes after it stopped working it was so hot.)