Interior painting

Featured Posts

Hi. We are carrying out a partial refit of our narrowboat. At present the shell is lined with varnished and veneered 3-ply and we intend to paint the interior an off-white so that it doesn't feel like the 1970's. We're pretty new to this, although not stupid! So far we have sanded and then wood-fillered any holes and rough parts, and then re-sanded. Any areas that are a little worse for wear around windows we have sanded a bit more aggressively, covered with a wood-rot treatment, wood fillered if necessary, and then finally roughened up a bit with sandpaper so that the undercoat/primer can take hold. We have used a damp proof white emulsion undercoat (Wickes own brand), and then plan to cover that with a silk or matte finish top coat. Does this sound like a decent course of action? I'm presuming the top coat should not be water-based? Can anyone suggest a good paint type to choose from that's available in somewhere like Wickes or B&Q? We have only completed one room so far, and then it occurred to me that maybe we could have gone with a one-coat (combined primer & topcoat) wood paint, thus saving time, and possibly money. The boat (65ft 1998 narrowboat) is not damp, but a damp-proof undercoat/primer seemed like a good idea to us at the time. Any thoughts would be much appreciated!!

My brother painted his interior in bog standard emulsion and it's lasted fine, three years on. He was painting over top of old emulsion on the walls.

In my boat, I used in some rooms oil-based gloss and in some rooms eggshell - painting over some surfaces which were primed ply, and some which were vinyl wallpaper. And all those have been fine too and lasted 3-6 years so far with no cracking or peeling.

I think as long as you don't let your boat interior get any damper on the inside than you would do a house, you're unlikely to have trouble with any of those. Only thing you might get if you use matt emulsion, is handprints because being a boat that moves around, it's possible that you or others on the boat might put hands against surfaces more than you might in a house.

Edited by BlueStringPudding

I've been visiting on a boat with cream painted ply above gunnel height and very light and airy it is too. Washable emulsion copes very well,occasional wipe down keeps it clean . Easy to re coat , brushes wash in water and great choice of colours too.

If you can 'back prime' the hidden side and edges of the panelling especially where windows are, with a primer or protective wood stain, it'll protect the wood from any condensation and could save a lot of future grief.

The acrylic based '10x tougher' scrubable kitchen bathroom paints are pretty hardy though a bit more tricky to apply, probably a washable matt would be enough.

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~