Battery Bank Shunt Wiring

Featured Posts

Hi,

Am just about to sort the battery bank wiring to accomodate solar and new inverter.

I have a cruiser stern with the domestic isolator being under the rear deck with the batteries. I wanted to upgrade the current isolator swich with a more substantial durite replacement but I also wanted to bring the isolator through the bulkhead and position under the stairs leading out onto the rear deck. In the event of an emergency isolating from inside the boat by simply lifting the cover over the stairs will be much safer and quicker.

The distance from batteries to new isolator location through the bulkhead is about 500mm and I have 70mm^2 cable for this. I have also purchased a shunt to fit into the system at this stage and I had planned on bringing this through the bulkhead also on the negative line and connecting solar, inverter and 12v distribution panel from this. I also liked the idea of bringing the shunt in from the damp so the thing hopefully wont get grotted up so quickly being out with the engine under the cruiser deck.

I have a split charge relay set up with the domestic and starter batteries negative all being connected together for this. I've been reading and it says that nothing should be wired to negative after the shunt but of course in this set up the negative for the split charge relay will be after the shunt.

In order to bring the shunt into the boat and keep the split charge will I have to split the negative connection between starter and domestics and run a negative feed in from the starter battery through the bulkhead to allow the shunt to register the split charge and of course for it to work, or is there a simpler way which doesn't involve more bulkhead holes?

Thanks

The shunt will read whatever goes through it, if the load/charge bypass the shunt it will not read them.

If you wish to read everthing in and out, all connections must go to one end and only one connection from the other end to the battry.

Make sure they all cables and shunt are correctly sized for expected loads.

Trying not to confuse you honest smile.png

Here is how the cable (negative) should run

Domestic battery negative terminal to shunt, shunt to all other negatives.

If the negative you mention is for the starter motor, then that should go directly to the start battery or the other end to the domestic battery side of the shunt for convenience, snip>>>>

If the negative you mention is for the split charge relay to work (small cable) then that can be placed on any permanent negative terminal.

Edited by bottle

I read on the forums that nothing can be connected to the negative domestics after the shunt, like this...

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f337/Vic43/Forums%202011/scan0058.jpg

Nothing, except a device which has instructions which says it MUST be installed here, for example a Smartgauge. In theory a voltmeter could be connected there too but in practice it doesn't matter too much. You certainly don't want anything connected there that consumes anything except a tiny current, since it would be 'missed' by the shunt/ammeter.

That diagram shows exactly what I am describing.

Read my post carefully. wink.png

First two lines, after the cofusion one, say it all but I mentioned some options if you were talking of other negatives. (starter motor and split charge relay)

If you remove the negative busbar where would the connections be made? (rhetorical)

Hold on second , third reading of second paragraph I can see the confusion sorry, I will go back and edit.

• 2 years later...

My batteries are 7 off one engine start and 6 leisure. The connections are not correct.

all are 110aH.Three of the leisure batteries are on the other side of the er but feed into the 2nd of the leisure batteries as does the victron energy charger/inverter 2500.

So there are 4 batteries on view. lhs is the starter battery then next in line is the first of the leisure batteries, then the second with feeds from the remote batteries and the inverter.

My question is to establish the ground rules for the connections

the shunt is to be fitted to the first battery negative with no other connections.

The starter motor connections to be across the starter battery.

The vsr is to be connected across from the neg of the starter battery to the neg of the first leisure battery.

No other connections are to be to the neg of the first leisure battery.

All the negative leisure connections are to be to the shunt but away from the battery connection.

Is that the plan or have a missed important bits?

Ken

Some photos or a sketch might help, this recent topic should be helpful:

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=83368

If some of the batts are separated from the others, it will help to keep diagonal connections to the batt bank common points, like this:

gallery_2174_346_2513.png

When working around batts please do follow safe handling precautions like the ones detailed on The Battery FAQ

http://jgdarden.com/batteryfaq/carfaq.htm

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Edited by smileypete