Mooring land - solicitors?

russab

Featured Posts

Hello all

I am considering buying some mooring land , and wanted some recommendations for knowledgeable solicitors who will know the ins and outs.

I have only ever bought houses before and this whole proposition while attractive is also making me very anxious.

I am not familair with the mooring land and have never been moored there so I dont have local contacts.

Any solicitors you know in SE England and who have done this before?

Russ :-)

Be worth checking with the navigation authority that you can actually moor there before you involve the costs of a solicitor. We're on a "bottom of the garden" mooring and although we owned the land (and the mooring) we didn't have permission to moor there until it was granted by the navigation authority.

Thanks for the tip Chalky.

This land already has a houseboat moored there (going soon) and comes with the "right to moor" - as far as the sale particulars go anyway.

What worries me is asking the "right questions" - in other words what isnt on the sale particulars and only someone with experience would know to ask....

This land already has a houseboat moored there (going soon) and comes with the "right to moor" - as far as the sale particulars go anyway.

What worries me is asking the "right questions" - in other words what isnt on the sale particulars and only someone with experience would know to ask....

Access to it would be something I would want to understand fully, as in do you have direct access to a public path or highway or do you have to cross somebody elses land to get that and how are those rights granted. plus are there any restrictive covenants that might prevent you erecting something like a storage shed should you want to (and just because there may already be one erected if there is it doesn't necessarily mean it should have been)

Edited by The Dog House

Thank you for that.

As it happens there are rights of way across the plot and I in turn would have the "benefit" of rights of way across adjacent land,....hmmm

This is why I was asking for the contact details of a knowledgable solicitor :-)

Coincidentally in the news today....

"....Boaters on the River Thames are being urged to renew their registrations or face prosecution, the Environment Agency has said.

The reminder comes after a two-day operation on the lower reaches of the non-tidal Thames saw waterways officers serve 49 boaters with registration enforcement notices. Waterways officers, supported by officers from the Met's Marine Police Unit (MPU), targeted 46 vessels moored on the river bank near Teddington last Wednesday, 10 April, serving 22 enforcement notices to those failing to display a valid registration....."

http://www.pbo.co.uk/news/534325/crackdown-catches-49-registration-fee-evaders

...so lots to think about...

Solicitor's name please ?...

I don't know how far "south-east" you need, but we used Anthony Taylor at Giffen Couch and Archer in Leighton Buzzard. He was very good, he has first-hand experience of the issues concerned, and he sorted out some complicated matters concerning the rights-of-way very effectively.

Don't assume - check. The rights may be with the previous owner and not transferrable, they may transfer but with different restrictions etc. It may be that there are no mooring rights and the owner is going soon to avoid difficult questions...

If its CaRT water the mooring rights don't necessarily mean that they'll grant you a mooring license Do you homework first - you only need a quick phone call to the navigation authority.

Edited by Chalky

Suitably admonished Chalky - quite right "dont assume" :-)

I don't know how far "south-east" you need, but we used Anthony Taylor at Giffen Couch and Archer in Leighton Buzzard. He was very good, he has first-hand experience of the issues concerned, and he sorted out some complicated matters concerning the rights-of-way very effectively.

Thanks Allen

Will put them on the list :-)

Mooring I am looking at is on Medway in Kent.....

Suitably admonished Chalky - quite right "dont assume" :-)

Thanks Allen

Will put them on the list :-)

Mooring I am looking at is on Medway in Kent.....

Be vary careful with this, I looked at some ''mooring land'' for sale on the Medway recently and found out that a local councillor was heading a campaign to make sure that no one would be allowed to moor there.

Keith

Postscript.

I looked the "mooring land". Probably the same plot as Keith. Chatted with nearby boat owners, and berth holders in the nearby marina. All negative. Disputes of every shape and form abound.

It was a nice sunny day, amazingly. So we had a lovely pub lunch....and went home.

If somthing is too good to be true - it probably is.

Thanks for contributions everyone ;-)

• Greenie 1