oil pressure switch

Featured Posts

does anyone know the part no for an oil prssure switch for a B3KR1 engine i've been on to beta marine and they want £60;00 but wont give me the manufacturer or part no ;)

Beta Marine don't manufacture engines they merely Marinise standard Commercial diesels, so if you know who made the base engine, go to your local stockist prefferably armed with the original. Beta have a habit of changing some parts so that you have to buy spares from them. If it is based on a Kubota, I can give you the name of their agents in Bath.

Edited by David Schweizer

Beta Marine don't manufacture engines they merely Marinise standard Commercial diesels, so if you know who made the base engine, go to your local stockist prefferably armed with the original. Beta have a habit of changing some parts so that you have to buy spares from them. If it is based on a Kubota, I can give you the name of their agents in Bath.

it's based on a 3 cyld isuzu

it's based on a 3 cyld isuzu

Ah can't help there, but would suggest that you try and find a lcal agent for the base engine.

By some freak coincidence I had to have a new Oil Pressure switch fitted to my car today Cost £9.07 (including fitting) and it's a VW Passat, not famous for cheap spares.

£60 for an oil pressure switch really is taking the P155. Take this along with their price for oil filters etc, and the way they are deliberately obstructive in telling you what the standard part numbers are convinces me that a new Beta engine is not the way to go.

Anyone else put off their engines by thisd attitude? Other marinisers are much more reasonable.

I would do as John suggests, providing the oil pressure switch is the right thread you can use any one that will fit as long as it is 12vdc.

If you cannot source one you could just buy an oil pressure gauge and fit that, probably cheaper than a switch from beta AND a far more informative option.

Not the only problem with Beta either, we had horrendous probs with our engine mounts on our old boat and at the hire basin where we moor they had to remove beta engines from their boats and physically change the mount position cos of so many problems.

I would do as John suggests, providing the oil pressure switch is the right thread you can use any one that will fit as long as it is 12vdc.

If you cannot source one you could just buy an oil pressure gauge and fit that, probably cheaper than a switch from beta AND a far more informative option.

Not the only problem with Beta either, we had horrendous probs with our engine mounts on our old boat and at the hire basin where we moor they had to remove beta engines from their boats and physically change the mount position cos of so many problems.

You also need to know whether you have a European type or American type sender. Apperntly it is not always possible to tell by looking at them, but a quick look at the Oil Pressure Gauge (assuming you have one) will tell - If it is a modern gauge and calibrated in lbs/sq ins (PSI) it is American, if it is in BAR it is European. Older Smiths/Lucas gauges require a Smiths type sender

Let's just make sure we know the difference between a pressure switch and sender unit. A pressure switch simply opens or closed an electrical contact at a pre-determined oil pressure, that pressure is invariably very low so take it seriously when the warning light comes on, the switch will not have a defined voltage and will normally have only one wire to it.

A sender unit will be used to control a variable gauge or meter of some kind, it will output a voltage or current in proportion to the oil pressure to drive the gauge, it will have a defined voltage, probably 12 or 24. It may well have two or more wires on it.

Let's just make sure we know the difference between a pressure switch and sender unit. A pressure switch simply opens or closed an electrical contact at a pre-determined oil pressure, that pressure is invariably very low so take it seriously when the warning light comes on, the switch will not have a defined voltage and will normally have only one wire to it.

A sender unit will be used to control a variable gauge or meter of some kind, it will output a voltage or current in proportion to the oil pressure to drive the gauge, it will have a defined voltage, probably 12 or 24. It may well have two or more wires on it.

John is quite correct, sorry if I caused any confusion. My comments only apply to pressure sender units.