is this the one for me

curzons246

Featured Posts

Dear all,

I am looking to purchase a VHF handheld radio for a trip on the tidal Trent - I have seen advertised to cobra radios one as channels UK m1/m2 (p1/p2) and one doesn't I don’t know what these references mean - to monitor lock keepers - commercial traffic etc which on do I need indeed will either do the job?

Bill and Denise living onboard at last on nb indulgence flood locked on the Aire and Calder

Dear all,

I am looking to purchase a VHF handheld radio for a trip on the tidal Trent - I have seen advertised to cobra radios one as channels UK m1/m2 (p1/p2) and one doesn't I don’t know what these references mean - to monitor lock keepers - commercial traffic etc which on do I need indeed will either do the job?

Bill and Denise living onboard at last on nb indulgence flood locked on the Aire and Calder

Bill,

I hope you are aware that you will need to be in possession of a radio license for the boat and also an operators certificate for yourself before you can use a VHF radio. From the questions it seems apparent that you haven't done the course yet. There are many extablishments where you can take such a course - usually run under the auspices of the RYA.

Regards

Howard Anguish

Bill,

I hope you are aware that you will need to be in possession of a radio license for the boat and also an operators certificate for yourself before you can use a VHF radio. From the questions it seems apparent that you haven't done the course yet. There are many extablishments where you can take such a course - usually run under the auspices of the RYA.

Regards

Howard Anguish

Thanks Howard i'm aware

Thanks Howard i'm aware

You only need them if you transmit, not if you only want to listen

PS I've just done the Trent from Sawley to West Stockworth with only a mobile phone to contact the lockeepers, and had no problems

Edited by jollyroger

Did the tidal trent from keadby a couple of seasons ago ... no vhf , just the locky's numbers , travelled right down to cromwell in one day albiet with 8' of fresh on leaving keadby and 12' at cromwell ... made it a slow trip , but the locky's were aware of our progress and we had no problems

Rick