Replacement tiller

gazmo

Featured Posts

On 31/12/2017 at 08:24, X Alan W said:

When you say "Tiller " do you mean the "S" shaped bar with a tube you hold to steer? or do you mean the rudder as well ? in either case it would have been fashioned to suit the boat so would if you can't recover the original from the cut have to be custom  made as the sizes & methods of mounting are very varied if the boat is a production model by a builder still trading they could possibly have drawings/details of sizes/dimensions to be be able to make you a replacement & you could get it to the boat & fit I think your best bet was to get someone with Scuba gear to try to recover the original   As to cost how long is a piece of string Good Luck.

Hello.  Yes, it's the tiller and handle and they came out taking the thread-worn bolt/washer and everything above the stock with it.  As you say, I suspect it's bespoke, given the history of the build and even the flattened connection/mount that slots onto the stock seems like quite a unique pattern.  It could be a real pain to get remade. 

On 31/12/2017 at 10:01, Mike the Boilerman said:

I too think no matter how much effort it takes to find the sunken tiller, it will be less than getting a new one made. 

After all you KNOW it’s there!

Yes, having slept on it I've decided to fish it out.  My hat came off as I went into the bank and got stuck in an over-hanging tree at the exact moment the tiller went in.  It means I can pinpoint it to a couple of yards radius as the hat's still there.  I've decided to keep the bow tethered to the bank and let the aft drift out to the spot.  I've managed to find a decent size magnet and rope and a few gardening tools to I can sit on the deck and have a dredge.  If I get someone to hold the aft with a long rope I should be able to search a decent area and pull myself back in if other boaters come past.  The handle was a brand new chrome one so that might help visibility! 

On 31/12/2017 at 10:04, Jen-in-Wellies said:

What he said. Assuming this is a narrowboat with a swan neck tiller, then they are typically fabricated by the builder to suit the boat design and vary from yard to yard. There are off the shelf ones around, but no way of knowing if yours is one. The dimensions and fixing arrangements are important for steering comfort and not grazing your knuckles on the cabin.

On the plus side, it is a big heavy lump of steel, so should be easy to find and recover. It will have sunk straight down without drifting away, so if you know where it went in, that is where it will be. No idea where you are, but presumably a reasonably shallow canal. A magnet or grappling hook should recover it. If there are boaters helping you out, then someone will have something suitable. Worse case, borrow a pair of waders if the water isn't too deep.

Jen

Fortunately I'm right outside a fishing tackle shop so if the worst comes to the worst I can get some waders which I'm thinking might be a good investment anyway!  My sister is also on that stretch of canal on her springer with a similar tool to the keb you posted.  I may end up asking her to meet me and help out as the springer could do a 360 in that particular section. 

The tiller in your link just looks like a straight circular steel section.  Is the intention that the chandlers bend it to spec or is the swan-neck a generic one?  I suppose any slack could be taken out with the handle if I'm lucky...  I might get in touch with them and ask about mounting as I need to rethread it now anyway. 

On 31/12/2017 at 10:07, dor said:

Assuming you mean the swan neck, it should be easy to locate with a seasearcher-type magnet, even if it is not strong enough to lift it.  Once located it is a case of jumping in, grab it quick and jump out - straight into a hot shower!

Still not really living on her and she's little more than a sailaway atm!  I may be able to dream of a shower in the spring :) 

I think a couple of rakes and a grappling hook should do it.  And a couple of spotters on the bank!

On 31/12/2017 at 13:13, David Schweizer said:

I gave mine io a member on here only last week, but if you cannot access a Keb, a long handled manure drag might do the trick, (available from agricultural merchants) :- http://www.faithfulltools.com/p/FAIMANDRAG/Manure-Drag-Solid-Socket-4-Prong

That looks useful.  I've borrowed a similar thing from my mom who's got allsorts of gardening stuff.  I'm determined not to have to buy a new one.

On 31/12/2017 at 13:25, Dr Bob said:

Whereabouts on the network are you? There maybe someone on here who is nearby and who can help. I have a semi-dry wetsuit that would give you ten mins in the water before you turn too blue. Not sure the scuba gear would help though. Not really conducive to 2mm visibility.

I'm on the Oxford Canal, almost at Cov.  Other than the weather it's been problem-free since the launch.  I'm hoping I can get it sorted early this week and move on before my 14 days is up. 

On 31/12/2017 at 13:30, bizzard said:

Smother yourself completely with goose grease, or stern tube grease and just jump in after it. :closedeyes:

Ha!  Funny you say that as I've recently noticed some grease in the stern that solidifies a bit like goose fat.  I've got a hydraulic system and there seems to be a lot of oil leaking yet the tank never seems to get any emptier. 

22 hours ago, David Schweizer said:

One tip about lookng for things lying on the bottom of the canal in murky water. Get a length of 4" air duct tubing, and glue/tape a piece of clear plastic over one end, making sure it is watertight. Push the sealed end under the water and look down it, you should be able to see the bottom.

Nice idea.  I've got some old RWP I can cut to length for that.  My mom's just suggested putting a sticky LED light in the bottom somehow for a bit of illumination. 

Tried dredging the cut from my boat but to no avail.  Spent most of Saturday dragging various implements along the bed and found nothing.  Ruined an extendable hook in the process too!  I'm near a boatyard so will see what they can do.  Sigh.