I feel confident steering but do I need a course?

heather2002

Featured Posts

Hi all,

We have recently bought our first boat, (a jelly mould) and after many holidays on the norfolk broads decided we didnt need to do a course in boat handling. Needless to say our first few journeys have been a little eventful. We have not fallen in yet but have found our new pride and joy is a little twitchy with the steering and throttle (probably the 170hp and sterndrive combination). We have also managed to get stuck on a flooded river unable to get back to home base all in the space of a month. Not bad going. Hopefully we can get back to Burton this weekend, otherwise its another week in the middle of no where.

Hi,

Novice here. Had hire boat for a week (40ft cruiser stern) In process of purchasing a trad (57ft) I became really confident at handling the cruiser stern after the second day.

Just wondering if I should take a boat handling course anyway? Is this boat going to be much different to a cruiser stern?

I read everything I can get my hands on and read the manuals on the first day.

Advice appreciated. Thanks

Heather

Need non-tidal Helmsman's Cert - but where is the nearest centre to Hampshire?

How far must I travel (by public transport too.)

There are a fair few centres doing the RYA helmsman's course...

We went to Terry Robinson at TR Boat Handling...He is based at Fazeley ( near Tamworth) during the winter months and Gnosall ( near wolverhampton ) the rest of the year..

We went for the 2 day course and spent the night on terry's boat..

He is a lovely man and a very good teacher and also makes a very good lunch!! :lol:

Here is a link.... T R Boathandling

We also did a two day course with Terry last month as a refresher for me and an introduction for Irina.

Very helpful man, taught me a lot I thought I already knew.

Recommend him any day.

Mike