Baby On the Way - Best Equipment?

beeailseebob

Featured Posts

Hello,

In just under seven weeks I will be having my first baby and I'm wondering if anyone has any really good, space-saving/multi-functional items they would recommend for bringing up a child afloat.

In particular, I think the baby will start life in our bedroom at night, and we have enough space for something like a moses basket/carry cot. Just wondering what are good space saving ideas.

The baby does have a 6' 4" nursery, which I intend to put a cot/bed in, as we are still fitting out and don't have time to build all the furniture from scratch.

I just thought I'd check with forum people before I begin nesting and spending loads of money in earnest!

Good luck,

Our boy is nearly 2 now, work out which bit of the boat you can safely contain him/her in when they start crawling, You will need to go to the bathroom on your own at some point. Mothercare have a rollerblind type stair gate. Our's is useless now as he can just climb the sofa and straight onto the kitchen bench!

Can you fit a baby bouncer to anything? they normally fit to door frames but you might be able to modify to fit to a roof vent, they provide a surprizing amount of amusement and containment.

For travelling, he started out just in first a chest carry, then moved into a backpack, then alternated between backpack and a childs rocking chair with the legs cut off strapped to the cabin slide, now is just strapped into the chair on the slide. That seemed to work for us as one is usually off the boats working locks and the other is confined to the back deck pointing out all the birds and fish and trains and airplanes and sheep and... well it's not just standing steering while the missus works the lock!

Simon

Ailsa

How many weeks to go now?

Thanks very much for the information on the Amby Baby Hammock, It looks fab & think it will be the best way for us to go. I was really worried about taking out cupboards & drawers to make room for a crib which can only be used until they're 6mths!

You said that you have a nursery now & that is what we don't have. We have a space of about 6x4 at the back of the boat, which at the moment, has our washing machine, fridge, 2 cupboards & a drawer in it. This is right next to our bedroom but can't be separted by a door or anything & that does worry me that the baby won't have it's own room as such. Do you have any photos of your layout?

As you say we will have to play a lot by ear as regards storage etc & I'm sure everything will be fine, but I am glad you're trying things out before me!! :lol:

Bristol & Argo

Thanks for the safety gate info, sounds like a must!

Bottle

I really do hope that our son/daughter learns to fly a lot earlier than 30!!

Xxx

Congratulations to both sets of new parents. I'm not a liveaboarder myself so I cannot offer any practical advise but being a mum of three I would say that whatever issues you have as parents you will learn, adapt and modify just as any parents do. I do so envy you bringing your children up in your chosen surroundings much better than urbanscape any day. Do make an announcement after the happy event (with piccies please). Good Luck to all of you. :lol: