Canal Aware GPS systems

Chris J W

Featured Posts

Hiya,

What's the latest with 'canal aware' GPS units and integration with maps/route planners?

One major reason for wanting one is for 1) my safety - if I breakdown, have an emergency etc, I can tell someone EXACTLY where I am and 2) to also let my family feel a bit more 'secure' for me whilst I'm out and about.

I suppose integration with maps/planners is a useful add-on (especialy when wandering around towns I've never been to!)

Generally you will know roughly where you are at all times and a quick glance at the Nicholsons or whichever map

you use will give you the nearest bridge reference.

If you really want to go hi-tech, you can connect a GPS head to a laptop loaded with memory map software which will

show you the Ordnance Survey maps and your location on them.

I played with these for a while, but found them a bit superfluous - I just use this set-up for tidal trips now and load the

British Admiralty charts instead.

I've got a 'Road Angel 7000' with memory map. You load in the relavent 1:50,000 OS sections and it plots your route and gives you all sorts of stats if you're that way inclined.

If you just want to know where exactly you are, then a simple Garmin Etrex or Geko can be set up to give a 10 figure OS map reference.

I use a Geko for rally marshalling, just in this way. I can then plot the reference onto the map, which can be perfect in the middle of a Welsh forest. Also useful if we have to call down the Air Ambulance as they always ask for a map ref.