Shore power and Sterling Inverter

ssj5298

Featured Posts

Hello

We have a 2500 Pro Combi S (Sterling) inverter.  Over the last two weeks the shore power we are hooked up to keeps tripping.  We have the inverter switched to power saver auto, but occasionally have to switch it to power saver off to be able to use the 240v sockets (not sure why when we are on electric hook up).  Apart from the fact that the money is going down from the electric supply, how do I know there is actually electricity being supplied to the boat?  On our panel we have an off and shore/inv switch and a system live light.  We have only had the boat 8 months so are still new to all this and no-one (3 marinas I've been to) know how to answer my questions as they aren't familiar with sterling inverters. 

Any help much appreciated?

can you post photos of the switches?  On my brother's boat, which had a Mastervolt inverter, the sockets went dead when the inverter failed - even on shore power.  Your Sterling may also feed some circuits, it depends on how the installer decided to wire your system.  You could isolate the batteries?  Do you have a battery monitor?

Edited by mross

The power saver auto and power saver off positions on the sterling panel only apply if the 230v power is being supplied from the inverter. if you are having to switch to power saver off to get 230v, then the power is coming from the inverter. The power saver auto position keeps the inverter off until there is a current draw ie you switch something on, with enough draw to turn on the inverter. If your shore power is on, you shouldn't have to do this. What position is your off, shore/inverter switch, are the shore and inverter separate positions ? as mross says try and put some pictures up.

Bazza

The 2500pro combi is also a battery charger which will activate when on shore power.If you have a voltmeter on your 12v system it will register chargeing voltage, noticeably above 12v (nearer 13.5 -14.5v) .If shore power is not powering your 240v system via the built in automatic change over switch within the inverter,it should be provided by the inverter and the chargeing voltage will not be seen at the voltmeter.