Water source selector

Chris Lingwood

Featured Posts

Can you buy a push fit (or just threaded) switched t junction? I can't find them. I was just thinking about fitting a small calorifier for cruising and keeping my gas heater for when moored. I obviously can't put calorified water through the gas heater, I'll die, but if I could have a valve to select between the 2 sources of hot water it would be fine.

Can you buy a push fit (or just threaded) switched t junction? I can't find them. I was just thinking about fitting a small calorifier for cruising and keeping my gas heater for when moored. I obviously can't put calorified water through the gas heater, I'll die, but if I could have a valve to select between the 2 sources of hot water it would be fine.

Could you bodge a central heating system three way valve. I know you can get the motor unit on it's own, so you may be able to buy the valve with out the electricts. You could then fit some sort of handle to operate it.

I think you would need two valves. One on the inlet side and one on the outlet.

Edited by NB Phoenix

Why would I need 2 valves?

I might be able to use a motorised 3 way valve. It would be more impressive (and probably neater) to have the pipes hidden and only a switch to select between the two. Shame they are about £30 and 240v

I don't think a central heating valve will be too impressed with water pressurised to 2 bar.

You can get T valves at just about any plumbers suppliers. I've got a few on my boat. Never had a problem getting hold of them.

Gibbo

You can get T valves at just about any plumbers suppliers. I've got a few on my boat. Never had a problem getting hold of them.

Gibbo

Splendid, how do they switch. I've found one on chandleryworld but it has a position where both hot water sources are connected together and slightly worse where they are both supplying the hot taps. I can't decide if that's dangerous or bad for the water heater (I suppose a NRV after the paloma would protect it though) as I'm guessing the presure drop through the calorifier is less than through the water heater. Ideally I want an all off in the middle.

http://www.chandleryworld.co.uk/acatalog/BallValves.html

Splendid, how do they switch. I've found one on chandleryworld but it has a position where both hot water sources are connected together and slightly worse where they are both supplying the hot taps. I can't decide if that's dangerous or bad for the water heater (I suppose a NRV after the paloma would protect it though) as I'm guessing the presure drop through the calorifier is less than through the water heater. Ideally I want an all off in the middle.

http://www.chandleryworld.co.uk/acatalog/BallValves.html

The ones I've got are a ball valve "T" with a lever on the outside. I've never looked to see whether the intermediate position is "both off" but I suspect it won't be. I don't really see that as being a problem.

Unless you've got something really odd in your water system the pressure will be same everywhere. Until, of course, you turn a tap on.

Gibbo