Solar PV vs. Wind

Beeno

Featured Posts

Hello Everybody,

I have recently moved to an unpowered mooring and I am looking to get kitted out with Solar PV panels and possibly a wind turbine. I work a lot from home and we have quite a lot of mod-cons, so I get through a fair few amps.

I've been pricing up the eqiupment, and after a fair amount of research I'm not convinved a wind turbine (namely the Rutland 913) is going to be good value for money. I was wondering what other liveaboards are using and how they rate the performance of solar PV and wind turbines.

I reckon a 913 will generate about 30W per hour on average, and when you cost up the turbine, the regulator, the mounting pole and the fact that I'll want a hinge bracket welded to the roof, is going to cost as much as £700, which is a staggering £23.50 per watt!

Compare this to solar PV, I could get 250W of panels, and a regulator for about the same price if I'm lucky on ebay, this would generate an average of 50W per hour which works out at £14 per watt.

Now on the surface the decision looks simple, but there will be times when it is sunny, but calm, and conversley times when it is overcast/dark, but windy. This is the case for having a mixed renerwable solution.

What do people think?

Cheers

Mark

Edited by Beeno

I work from the boat and believe that neither are the total answer.

They will contribute to your boat needs in a small way, but unless you use very little

electric power, I believe you will still need a shore supply or generator.

I have a Windgen which is a lot more powerful than the Rutland, but it can only be erected

with care (due to risk to towpath users) and a lot of places on the canal are very sheltered

due to trees/cuttings etc.

Edited by NB Willawaw

They will contribute to your boat needs in a small way, but unless you use very little

I have a Windgen which is a lot more powerful than the Rutland, but it can only be erected

with care (due to risk to towpath users) and a lot of places on the canal are very sheltered

I have a 3.5kW gen-pack on the engine and charge through my inverter/charger as it's more intelligent than the alternator. I realise that solar/wind will never supply 100% of your energy needs, especially in winter, but come September I won't be working form home anymore, and ultimatly I don't want to have to run the engine for 2 and a half hours EVERY FLAMING DAY. (althought the endless hot water is a perk!)

You have also picked up on my other concern about wind, ie, it can cause an obstruction and is a pain to set up. The cut lies east-west here and the prevailing wind is westerly, so I should be able to catch some air.

If £££'s allow I think a combination of both wind and solar is the way forward, particularily if your moving around a lot and you therefore never know what local conditions you will find when you moor up. That said I guess your home mooring may be better suited to one of the other.

Out of interest, what turbine do you have? Is it noisy? Does it turn in light winds?

Cheers

Mark

I have an Air-X turbine.

It makes some noise but its not particularly noisy. It starts up in quite light winds

but I usually dont put it up unless there are fresh breezes.

I have mounted the mast on rubber mounts to stop the vibration travelling down into the hull, which causes

noise at night.

Compare this to solar PV, I could get 250W of panels, and a regulator for about the same price if I'm lucky on ebay, this would generate an average of 50W per hour which works out at £14 per watt.

"Averaged" over what pariod? The daytime? The full 24 hours? Summer? Winter? all year?

I think 50W average over a year is *extremely* optimistic.

Gibbo

"Averaged" over what pariod? The daytime? The full 24 hours? Summer? Winter? all year?

I think 50W average over a year is *extremely* optimistic.

Gibbo

Yeah, sounds optimistic to me too!

It's supposed to be "all year", Based on the south of England, unobstructed, facing south and angled at 30 degrees. Can't rememebr where I read it, somewhere official-ish, ie. not on a website selling solar panels.

*edit* I think that assumes a peak-power tracking reguator too, not the cheaper PWM type.

Edited by Beeno

We have 128w of unisolar panels and they provide MORE than we need. We don't have a TV, but we do use a laptop and stereo every night, and our lights are all 1W LEDs. Bloody amazing. NEVER need to run the engine. Brilliant.