different kinds of berth?

Ian_L

Featured Posts

Hi Everyone,

can anyone define what a cruising berth and a permanent/long term berth is please?

Cheers

Ian

are you talking moorings or beds? on salty yachts cruising berths are berths that would be used when underway, often close to the helm position for quick response. They would normally be folded up and not used in harbour when you would want more space to spread out and relax.

Edited by chris polley

are you talking moorings or beds? on salty yachts cruising berths are berths that would be used when underway, often close to the helm position for quick response. They would normally be folded up and not used in harbour when you would want more space to spread out and relax.

Moorings. I'm currently looking through the brokers sites and often these terms are referred to as 'Possible cruising berth available by arrangement'. On the BW moorings sites there are 'permanent/long term' berths (moorings). But as yet, I have not been able to find a proper definition of the requirements that go with these titles.

Regards

Ian

Moorings. I'm currently looking through the brokers sites and often these terms are referred to as 'Possible cruising berth available by arrangement'. On the BW moorings sites there are 'permanent/long term' berths (moorings). But as yet, I have not been able to find a proper definition of the requirements that go with these titles.

Regards

Ian

As I understand it; a Crusing mooring is a basic one with few facilities as you are only expected to be away from it more than you are at it as you'll be Crusing.

A permament/long-term (and to add residential) would have more facilities as you would be there more than you are moving and that they MAY also allow you to live-aboard, too.

Edited by Chris J W

As I understand it; a Crusing mooring is a basic one with few facilities as you are only expected to be away from it more than you are at it as you'll be Crusing.

A permament/long-term (and to add residential) would have more facilities as you would be there more than you are moving and that they MAY also allow you to live-aboard, too.

I find these things so ambigous! Does that mean if you are away from a cruising berth 51% of the time you are complying with the regs.....?

I understand a residential mooring has planning permission, a postcode and the resident is liable for council tax and TV licence. It usually has full facilities like connected power, water, rubbish disposal, pumpout etc.

I understand a permanent/Long term mooring has no planning permission etc (you don't pay council tax/tv licence) but you have to drive to a water point, rubbish disposal, pumpout etc and you are allowed to live on board... but does anyone know if there is a time limit? I have even tried to get the answer from this one from BW and they waffled and waffled... so I guess you can stay there for ages. Anyone else got any thoughts or interpretations on this?

Cheers

Ian

This may be an over simplification but here goes,

There are residential and non residential moorings.

Being residential does not mean that all facilities are available at mooring, it just means that you may reside on your boat.

Non residential is a place to moor your boat and live somewhere else, you may be able to stay on your boat, at the mooring a number of times per year but this will vary at each and every mooring.

I interpreted the question in the same way as Chris. You design and build a bed for your boat and make a complete mess of it, too short, too narrow, too lumpy, too slanty, looks horrible. That's a cruising berth.

it's designed that way not to allow you to sleep to deeply when you should be ready to assist the helmsman at a moment's notice. :cheers:

why is a mooring called a berth?

when is a berth not a berth?

to sleep or not to sleep? - that is the question

..................................... OK I'll get my coat

Edited by chris polley