Water tank support

Featured Posts

Been taking up the boards in the bow section, for de-rusting, treating and painting. Boards are fixed down to bearers with screws which either have painted/stripped heads or rusted shanks, but the main problem so far is that the water tank support is screwed into the boards which sit directly on top of the keelson.

post-18474-0-86154100-1475607048_thumb.jpg

What do you think? I guess I should just cut carefully around it (as I've started) and leave it as is. I wouldn't have thought any lateral support would be needed.

I like the amount of head height in the cabin, but I think it would be best to raise the floor just off the metal for a bit of an air gap. Again, any thoughts?

Cheers!

1) You could chop out the stuff from under it and then put some wedges under or something you can move whilst you treat steel underneath.

Then put floor back under or pack under it appropriately.

2) And better to lay floor on battens rather than direct to steel.

Thanks, mate.

1) I reckon it's not worth the effort - the keelson looks in pretty good condition, rust is mainly beneath the felt to each side of it. Was really wondering if I was affecting the stability of the 'shelf' adversely.

2) Yes, will raise the floor level slightly - what I meant was raising it from where it currently sits on top of the keelson, and battens level with it.