Enclosing the bow area

Featured Posts

Morning, All

One of the boats I'm tentatively looking at is a bit tight for space so I'm considering using the 8ft bow area as a bedroom.

I'd want to enclose it, but still keep the shape as if the covers were over a normal cratch-boarded bow (if you see what I mean - the cratch-board acting as the front window) Besides finding a good welder, steel, insulation and covering, and making sure there's an 'escape' hatch, there's the issue of maintaing easy access to the water tank but still allowing decent floor insulation. Ideas? Thoughts about cost?

Also thinking about the posibilities of having the water tank held in the top half of a wardrobe and having a gravity fed, rather than pump fed, system. Would also do the same with the hot-tank as currently it's under a single berth, tank to be raised to ceiling hight, and he berth woud be removed and replaced with an area for washing machine and (maybe) freezer and storage space.

Chris

Morning, All

One of the boats I'm tentatively looking at is a bit tight for space so I'm considering using the 8ft bow area as a bedroom.

I'd want to enclose it, but still keep the shape as if the covers were over a normal cratch-boarded bow (if you see what I mean - the cratch-board acting as the front window) Besides finding a good welder, steel, insulation and covering, and making sure there's an 'escape' hatch, there's the issue of maintaing easy access to the water tank but still allowing decent floor insulation. Ideas? Thoughts about cost?

Also thinking about the posibilities of having the water tank held in the top half of a wardrobe and having a gravity fed, rather than pump fed, system. Would also do the same with the hot-tank as currently it's under a single berth, tank to be raised to ceiling hight, and he berth woud be removed and replaced with an area for washing machine and (maybe) freezer and storage space.

Chris

We have seen a boat on the Shropshire union canal with the cabin pretty much as you describe. The cratch panel was rectangular rather than triangular, and in my opinion it looked good. Certainly made the cabin much longer. I have no idea about the internal arrangements though. I would be cautious about a high level wter tank as the extra weight above the centre of gravity may lead to rolling. I suppose it depends what capacity you have in mind. I seem to remember that a gallon of water weighs ten pounds, but as ever will stand corrected.

Why not have the water tank under the bed.

You could fabricate the false covered bit out of wood which would make it easier to undo at a later date should you want to.

Do you mean as in mattress-bedboard-tank-hull? Had thought of that, but the space under the bed seemed better for storage. However, I'd not really considered the other post, above, about weight issues - I suspect a longer, flater, tank along the roof would be better to keep the distribution more even?

So, I suppose, the best thing would be to leave the tank where it is, and then have an 'insulated box' arrangement under the bed that could be lifted out if the tank needed inspection.

[edit for grammer]

Edited by Chris J W

Morning, All

Chris

Do you mean something like this?Baltic2jpeg.jpg

Chris

There is another problem with a high level tank, it is when it is not totaly full, the water will start to 'slosh' backwards and forward, side to side.

This could be more of a problem than just having the weight that high.

You would need to fit baffles within the tank.

Think of the weight, 15 gallon tank (three jerry cans) = 150 lbs = 10 stone 10 lbs.

I suspect your existing tank is in the region of 50 gallons.

Aye! With a window at the front, and steel under tarp.

The water tank is under the bow hatch (it's a gas-free boat) and the fore-cabin (with 'escape hatch') is actually part of the 'clothed' area accessed from the main cabin

Edited by bjornunda

Chris

There is another problem with a high level tank, it is when it is not totaly full, the water will start to 'slosh' backwards and forward, side to side.

This could be more of a problem than just having the weight that high.

You would need to fit baffles within the tank.

Think of the weight, 15 gallon tank (three jerry cans) = 150 lbs = 10 stone 10 lbs.

I suspect your existing tank is in the region of 50 gallons.

Hmmm. Would seem the idea of moving a tank would be more phaff than the gain. So, scratch that idea.

What about the enclosing, though?

Hi Chris

the enclosing is possible but of course cost comes into it, might be an idea to get a 'guesstimate'.

Canaltime (hireboats) were built this way but it was a continuation of a 'normal' cabin not cratch shaped.

canaltime link

Hi Chris

I agree, I don't like it either but your idea does sound good and it would 'look right'

It is just the cost that would be the problem and whether that extra money would buy a 'bigger' boat.

Going back to your original question, finding a good welder, the steel, insulation, covering and the escape hatch, the water tank seems to be the the least of your problems. Water weighs 10 pounds per gallon and a tank above head height would be risky. Fabricating the false area out of wood would be a good idea as it is less expensive and can be undone easily at a latter date.