Trip on the River Nene from Northampton

buggsy

Featured Posts

Hi,

our boat is moored below Stoke Bruerne and we are considering a weeks holiday going down the Northampton Arm and along the Nene. I was wondering how easy it is to moor a narrowboat along the river other than at the various boat clubs along the river. I remember reading in one of the canal mags that people moor at the locks but is this the norm or should this be avoided. Any comments gratefully received.

cheers,

Steve

You might want to look at the blog of NB No Problem which has ventured on to the Fens a couple of times.

I seem to remember Sue on there talking about the Northampton Arm.

Sorry have never navigated there but interested in the IWA this year.

I got the impression that Northampton is to be avoided and is just a staging post to get on the levels.

At most of the locks you cannot moor either above or below them, although there are one or two exceptions (my favourite is mooring above Cogenhoe lock).

Casual mooring along the bank is not easy with a narrowboat, especially if you want to get off the boat. Even some of the moorings quoted on the maps, are suitable only for cruisers and dinghies.

Despite that it is a wonderful trip.

Hi Steve,

we have recently done the Northampton Arm and the Nene through to Stanground lock whilst moving our cruiser from Stratford to Earith. There isn't really anywhere to moor on the Northampton Arm and you certainly wouldn't want to stop at the first few locks in Northampton. That being the only place we felt uncomfortable on the whole trip, particularly at the lock before Midsummer Meadow, there were yobs standing on the derelict building opposite watching our every move, tens of kids trying to get on the boat, and winos and druggies lurching all over the place. We stopped for the night at the Britannia Arms a bit further on, great food, good ale and cctv on the moorings. There are several moorings that are big enough for a nb up to the Red Diamond moorings, then they are not so frequent but I would think that by picking your spot carefully you could get in on the banks at a number of places. If you do get onto the Nene (pronounced Nen until you reach Oundle) you MUST visit the Oundle Cruising Club, this is one of the friendliest places on the planet, let alone the rivers :rolleyes::lol: . They have a great riverside visitors mooring, water, shore power, wifi hotspot, clubhouse, showers etc. There are fuel and all other facilities at the adjacent marina, where the staff are also pleasant and helpful. Just before the second lock above Oundle at Ashton Lock there are excellent moorings for nbs and the best bit is that they are only a few minutes walk from the pub. The Tuesday Night club have cruised this area and you may find a lot more info from their logs. There are a lot of logs published at http://www.jim-shead.com/waterways/River-Nene.html. The first few miles of the Nene are disappointing, a bit bleak after the loveliness of some of the canals, but stick with it as it gets better as you go further up. All in all I would say you could have a really nice trip without needing to moor at locks, especially if you are laid back and don't mind getting through the scruffy bits at the beginning fairly quickly. Do post on here and let us know if you do the trip.

Malc

At most of the locks you cannot moor either above or below them, although there are one or two exceptions (my favourite is mooring above Cogenhoe lock).

Casual mooring along the bank is not easy with a narrowboat, especially if you want to get off the boat. Even some of the moorings quoted on the maps, are suitable only for cruisers and dinghies.

Despite that it is a wonderful trip.

We came down the Northampton Arm & along the Nene on our way to our current moorings on the Great Ouse last August / September. It was a great trip - over several week-ends. We never found mooring too much of a problem. We relied on Imray's Guide to the River Nene, which I highly recomend. My two favorite moorings were at Cogenhoe - moor above the lock on the grass bank & walk up the hill to the village - a great pub awaits!. Likewise another good morring on a grassy bank is above the lock at Elton. If you don't mind a bit of a hike & fancy a good meal - there's a great Loch Fine restaraunt there. Otherwise the Nene is a very attractive river & in comparison with the canals - very quiet. Most of the guillotine locks are now electrified, however those that aren't take a bit of winding on the wheel. If they don't work up a thirst nothing will! A couple of spots on the Nene are worth passing swiftly through - Billings Aquadrome - full of noisy grockles & Wellingborough - not a very attractive town. Otherwise I'm sure you'll enjoy the Nene.

Steve

A couple of spots on the Nene are worth passing swiftly through - Billings Aquadrome - full of noisy grockles & Wellingborough - not a very attractive town.

Absolutely right Benadix. Billings Aquadrome's staff were unfriendly to visitors :rolleyes: too. Wellingborough does have the small plus of having a Tescos just a few minutes walk from the EA waterpoint and a nice flock of swans there too :lol: , otherwise it is as Benadix states.