Heavy hatch covers

Featured Posts

:rolleyes: We have two flat steel hatch covers on our large front deck, each 860x780 and around 3mm thick. They are VERY heavy to lift, and I wondered whether it wold be possible to replace the steel with Aluminium treadplate, and how thick it would need to be.

Any thoughts would be gratefully received, and also any likely sources of aluminium.

Otherwise, I might lose a fi nger one day ....

:rolleyes: We have two flat steel hatch covers on our large front deck, each 860x780 and around 3mm thick. They are VERY heavy to lift, and I wondered whether it wold be possible to replace the steel with Aluminium treadplate, and how thick it would need to be.

Any thoughts would be gratefully received, and also any likely sources of aluminium.

Otherwise, I might lose a fi nger one day ....

Have you considered trying to fit a couple of gas struts as used on car tailgates which can be acquired from a scrap yard?

Or else making them out of normal aluminum sheet and just painting them in with the boat?

- Certainly its not unheard of the remake them in alu and quite easy to do, if lightly costly fabrication wise.

Daniel