Advice required from a visitor from France !!

John Courtman

Featured Posts

We would like your advice on whether to do the Cheshire Ring or 4 Counties Ring starting 12th May from Middlewich for 1 week and the best way round.

We will be a group of 4 for the first 3 days and then 2 thereafter.. and long days will not be a problem and we have taken canal holidays 3 or 4 times in the past.

As we are now seldom in the UK for holidays we wish to make the most of this week to see the best of what the UK offers in terms of:

Scenery

Character & Charm

Good pubs (Food & Drink)

Diversity incl. Urban Renewal (Bandit Free).

Interesting o/night stops.

Many thanks for your help

John

Just a personal view - but I'd choose the 4 counties - I loved the Shroppie - gorgeous countryside and lovely villages. We hope to do it again next year. I'd probably go anticlockwise - so that the 2 leaving you got to see the it before they went and also avoid the Kidsgrove area at the weekend.

We enjoyed Cheshire Ring too -- and Manchester is a real experience. I'm really glad we did it, but I won't rush back for a few years. If you do chose the Cheshire Ring I'd go clockwise from Middlewich and plan to go through Manchester on day 3 whilst you've still got a crew of 4.

In terms of cruising time they are about the same 48-50 hrs and the number of locks are very similar too.

Whichever you choose, have a great holiday.

Ann

Hi John.

I agree with Darcy, I think you and your guests may prefer the more rural nature of the 4 counties, save the delights of Manchester for next time. I would go clockwise in order that all of you can 'do' the Harecastle Tunnel, it's always an adventure first time, plan to get to the tunnel early on your second morning.

We would like your advice on whether to do the Cheshire Ring or 4 Counties Ring starting 12th May from Middlewich for 1 week and the best way round.

John

I think I'd agree with what others are saying. The Cheshire Ring is a fine trip but I think the 4 Counties is a better bet for beginners. On the Shroppie, I'd recommend stopping at any out of Brewood, Gnosall, Market Drayton or Audlem but not at Autherley Junction. Incidentally since about 1986 the name "Four Counties" has been a misnomer (some would say it always was) as the route now passes through the "counties" of Shropshire, Staffordshire and Cheshire and the Borough of Wolverhampton (which is geographically in Staffordshire anyway!) But don't let this put you off!

Many thanks for all your responses they were very helpful..

It looks like there is a clear view that the '4 Counties' would be best, so that is the route we will take and likely go clockwise..

To follow on I will be putting up a new topic for the latest advice on stopovers, pubs and restaurants.

John