Gear shifting problems

jhoff

Featured Posts

Hi all,

Wondering if I could get some advice. The gear shift cable on my narrowboat broke the other day, so I replaced it. However, now it will only go into reverse and neutral, even when I move the control forwards. The cable itself seems to move fine, so I'm wondering if there's some finer adjustment or calibration I need to be doing and failed to when I replaced it. In case it's not obvious, I have no experience of doing this...

The engine is a BMC 1.8 with a Morse single lever control (which feels slightly looser since changing the cable).

Any thoughts?

You have either got the cable too long or too short. The length is adjustable.

Best bet is to put the Morse lever into neutral, disconnect the cable from the gearbox lever, put the gearbox into neutral and then adjust the cable until the peg on the cable just goes into the lever

Richard

Thanks Richard, will definitely do this. Now that I think about it, I am pretty sure I connected the whole thing up with the gearbox in reverse, which seems retrospectively to be clearly wrong...

Yep, that would do it happy.png

Richard