Second Hand prices?

Squishy

Featured Posts

Hello! I posted a few times a while back about first holidays. Still haven't managed one on a narrowboat yet :cheers:

Anyway............... living as we do in close proximity to the soon-to-be-restored Northern Reaches, and having recently had some good fortune in the finance stakes, we are debating buying our own little narrowboat.

I realise this would be a bit silly before we've even been inside one, or hired one for any length of time, and clearly we would do that first.

My question is - what sort of price would a neat little beginner boat (sleeping 4) be? Would you be able to buy one and transport it easily?

I think it's going to be another 5 years before the restoration is complete to the point of having a mooring facility in my town, but I want to be ready with a boat :(

I have this mad dream of owning our own little sweetie and being able to pootle about whenever we like *sigh* Any help/advice/opinions welcome :cheers:

If you are going to sleep four, then something around 50 ft plus would be your need (to holiday on), as you will find anything smaller will not sleep four without having to re-arrange seating into beds etc and not have a huge saloon area (lounge) which you may find cramped.

Boat prices do depend on the area as well. Round by us, you could pick up a nice little 50 - 55 footer for around 41 - 45,000, but you can get them cheaper, and more expensive, depending on the age of the boat, and it's condition.

And if you are just using it for holidays you might want something that isn't too high maintenance unless you love tinkering with engines etc. It's important that the hull is in good nick, so always worth having a survey done if you are serious about buying. It will cost you around 250 - 300 but worth it if it shows any majot problems or the opposite and find yourself with a good buy.

If you intend to live aboard (like I do), then you will want bigger. 62 foot is our boat length and we sleep four (two adults, two children) and this is the least amount of space we could personally live with (depends on the people of course).

But definitely hire one around the sort of length you think you would buy to try it out, see how you all get on, get to grips with steering etc, and the fact that it's bliss in summer, but not the same in winter.

Sure this lot will give you loads of tips as they know all there is to know, but that's just my first thoughts.

Hello! I posted a few times a while back about first holidays. Still haven't managed one on a narrowboat yet :cheers:

Anyway............... living as we do in close proximity to the soon-to-be-restored Northern Reaches, and having recently had some good fortune in the finance stakes, we are debating buying our own little narrowboat.

I realise this would be a bit silly before we've even been inside one, or hired one for any length of time, and clearly we would do that first.

My question is - what sort of price would a neat little beginner boat (sleeping 4) be? Would you be able to buy one and transport it easily?

I think it's going to be another 5 years before the restoration is complete to the point of having a mooring facility in my town, but I want to be ready with a boat :(

I have this mad dream of owning our own little sweetie and being able to pootle about whenever we like *sigh* Any help/advice/opinions welcome :cheers:

Hello,

A quick look at the classifieds in Waterways World and online brokerage sites (avoid Harral) suggests that a 40' ish four berth, old and needing work including overplating of the hull start around £10,000, £30,000 gets you an eg Liverpool Boats cruiser stern under 10 years old.

Craning out and taking to the Lancaster by road may well cost c.£1,000, getting her there by water, ie Ribble Link, would be an adventure, possibly not one I'd recommend to a beginner!

Try looking here first, looks like there's plenty to choose from,

Lancaster Canal Boat Sales

Bridge House Marina, Garstang

Moons Bridge Marina, Preston

More, no doubt if you Google

Rick

Why do we get so many negative posts on this forum, the Ribble Link is quite achievable by anyone with a reasonably reliable boat. Of course you will need to do a bit of research and home-work but a persons level of experience has nothing to do with that, it's part of the enjoyment of the trip.