Tamworth & District Canal History

cheshire~rose

Featured Posts

Boaters Christian Fellowship in conjuntion with Tamworth Covenanting Churches are planning an even this autumn on the canals in the Tamworth Area.

They are currently compiling a dossier on local canal history which will be distributed freely to the local schools. Part of the programme of local events will involve visits to local schools to teach about the history of the canals and an invitation for the children to come aboard a historic working boat that will be moored close to their school to see for themselves what was involved in being part of a working boatmans family.

This will take place along the route of the canal from Polesworth right up to Whittington including of course Fazeley where a grand final event which may invlove a boat rally

If anyone can offer any assistance whether in the form of old maps, pictures, photo's newspaper articles or any other information or verbal memoirs about canals local to the area and their links with local Industry or churches or for that matter links to online resources then please let me know.

The local co-ordinator for this part of the project is Mary Litchfield whose email adress, address and phone number I have. If anyone wants to get in touch with her then please PM me for the details.

• 5 weeks later...

AT POLESWORTH THERE IS A LITTLE CHARITY SHOP RUN BY A LOVERLY LADY IN HER LATE 70'S HAZEL AND SHE IS THE GRAND DAUGHTER OF ZIA ATKINS OF LEE AND ATKINS SHE HAS TOLD ME A FEW STORYS OVER THE YEARS I HAVE KNOWN HER ONE ABOUT A BUTTY HAMBLE WHICH BY CO-INSTIGANCE SCRAGGY PAINTED A PICTURE OF

THE BOOKS & JIGSAWS IN THE CELLER AT THE MUCKY DUCK AT FRADLEY ARE DOWN TO HER YOU CAN BUY THEM OR SWOP YOUR OLD ONE I COLLECT NEW ONES FROM HER MOST MONTHS