How different is Canal Life

GreyLady

Featured Posts

some of the things I really love about living on our boat...

NO junk mail

No noisy neighbours

No traffic noise (well except for trains at some of the spots we moor at on the GU)

Our eating habits have massively improved for the better - we've had about 5 take aways in 18 months compared with 2 a week when living in the house

We are both much healthier - neither of us have had a cold or flu in the 18 months we've lived on the boat

The things I don't like so much...

the constant dusting

the constant polishing of so much woodwork

but...it gives me something to do on rainy days so all is good icecream.gif

Get a solar garden lamp from the £shop and hang it outside said window. End of fright.:icecream:

Good luck with your venture.

Thanks Taslim, thats a great idea and I have found some warm light solar lights on Amazon haha.

some of the things I really love about living on our boat...

NO junk mail

No noisy neighbour:

Aww hey, no noisy neighbours or junk post now that sounds bliss bettie boo.

Ps. The Betty Boo tune was brilliant that brings back memorys

Edited by grumpy146

Im not 100% sure I am going to liveaboard yet, Im see my river cruiser as a proof of concept to try out. If I find the 27ft comfortable and managable for stopping on for a few days at the time I will consider it and look to upgrade to bigger narrowboat (ie start chucking money at it properly)

27ft should be very comfortable.

We manage for weeks at a time with a 25ft and two of us onboard.

Another forum member asked a question how different are Canals, this got me thinking how different is life on the Canal's online or offline from living in bricks and mortar to living full time on a Boat?

It would be interesting to hear everyone's views and story's of the good and bad and whether they have any regrets from that transition.

Pro's and Con's would be interesting though I bet their are many.

I think one of the main reasons someone won't live on a boat is the size. For that reason I'd definately advise trying it out for a while before selling up bricks and mortar. You might be able to hire a boat a lot cheaper in the winter, that way you can see how you get on out of season.

If you plan ahead well it's unlikely you'll run out of anything. There are plenty of marinas and facilities around the system.

Even though it looks like I will be getting married to a land based girl next year (so to speak) I will still regard the boat as my main home. We've managed to share lifesyles Ok for the last 3 years so I see no point in changing anything (wish me luck on that one!)

To live aboard and CC freely idealy you dont want any outside commitments or a car. That way you can go where you like, when you like. Part of me wishes I didn't play in bands for that reason but like everyone here we have to juggle life.

Finally, I just wanted to say that I was suffering from bad depression, onset of tinnitus and a bad marriage when I bought the boat. Now I couldn't be happier! Good luck whatever you do.

I think one of the main reasons someone won't live on a boat is the size. For that reason I'd definately advise trying it out for a while before selling up bricks and mortar. You might be able to hire a boat a lot cheaper in the winter, that way you can see how you get on out of season.

If you plan ahead well it's unlikely you'll run out of anything. There are plenty of marinas and facilities around the system.

Even though it looks like I will be getting married to a land based girl next year (so to speak) I will still regard the boat as my main home. We've managed to share lifesyles Ok for the last 3 years so I see no point in changing anything (wish me luck on that one!)

To live aboard and CC freely idealy you dont want any outside commitments or a car. That way you can go where you like, when you like. Part of me wishes I didn't play in bands for that reason but like everyone here we have to juggle life.

Finally, I just wanted to say that I was suffering from bad depression, onset of tinnitus and a bad marriage when I bought the boat. Now I couldn't be happier! Good luck whatever you do.

Hey bassplayer

thanks for the advice with trying a boat out first i think it would of been a good idea before i got so mind set and determined to get a narrowboat, i dont think anything could put me off at this stage, i am going for something around 57-60ft long so hopefully that should be plenty enough space.

I wish you all the very best with your GF and and living on and off your boat, congratualtion's on getting married.smile.png next year.

I am car free myself so that is a bonus in every sense at the moment, its just too expensive these days and i can understand what you say with them becoming a burden while Cc'ing, i have a push bike haha.

I think its good to have roots and freinds in other places especially if you enjoy them, i guess it is all about juggling our lives a little to get the most out of it.

You know i am glad to hear that your boat has helped your depression that truly is brilliant to hear, it is partly why i am changing my lifestyle and i think its time to give things a new begining with a fresh new look at life from a different angle so to speak.

Thank you for your post bassplayer.

happy days smile.png all the very best.

Edited by grumpy146

Hey bassplayer

thanks for the advice with trying a boat out first i think it would of been a good idea before i got so mind set and determined to get a narrowboat, i dont think anything could put me off at this stage, i am going for something around 57-60ft long so hopefully that should be plenty enough space.

I wish you all the very best with your GF and and living on and off your boat, congratualtion's on getting married.smile.png next year.

I am car free myself so that is a bonus in every sense at the moment, its just too expensive these days and i can understand what you say with them becoming a burden while Cc'ing, i have a push bike haha.

I think its good to have roots and freinds in other places especially if you enjoy them, i guess it is all about juggling our lives a little to get the most out of it.

You know i am glad to hear that your boat has helped your depression that truly is brilliant to hear, it is partly why i am changing my lifestyle and i think its time to give things a new begining with a fresh new look at life from a different angle so to speak.

Thank you for your post bassplayer.

happy days smile.png all the very best.

:)