Crew / Skipper available

RevCedd

Featured Posts

I have been narrow boating as a holiday hirer for a number of years. In recent years I have taken the RYA Inland Waterways Helmsman Certificate and the ICC certificate. I have recently gained my Boatman's License on the River Medway to skipper a Community Boat. In my day job I am a Vicar of a parish in Kent. Because of my day job my availability is somewhat limited but I am happy to be asked to help as either crew or skipper, in exchange for a berth and a meal!

As a qualified skipper you'll probably find there's some demand. There are some other voluntary organisations who run trip boats and may well be interested, two I can think of in the south east are:

The Wey & Arun Trust, who run trip boats on the parts of the Wey & Arun canal they've restored so far:

http://www.weyandarun.co.uk/sitsvactripboat.php

The Pirate Castle, who run children's trips in London:

http://www.thepiratecastle.org/volunteer

Also, sometimes a new boater will buy a boat in boatyard A with the intention of keeping it in marina B, but find the journey A-B a bit daunting. I recently enjoyed a 7 day trip as crew for paulmeds who was in this position, and he hired an experience skipper for the first day to teach him how to operate the boat, then carried on after that steering himself while I did the locks. Someone else might turn out to want a skipper the whole way, especially if they're more interested in living aboard than in going boating far.

Thanks Peter!

As I already skipper for the Kingfisher Medway Trust I am not looking for another regular gig but would be happy to help on an occasional basis.

Unfortunately my diary does get full early and I have already had to turn something down for July next year (which is a real shame!). Mid-week trips or boat moves are more likely to be manageable than weekends.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

And why not? Bump away!

RevCedd knows his stuff, we met in August for a day on the GU in West London; see:

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=77908

and a nice day out it was too. The Crew Swap forum is sadly underused, as there are people available like us who can help get a boat from A to B, and are happy to turn out for free because we just love going boating. In fact I've recently taken up the excellent suggestion of Colin Wilks in post #5 and joined the N.B.T., and am looking forward to my first trip with them in March.

So if you've got a boat to move and could do with a hand, don't be shy, use Crew Swap.