Hurth HBW 50 slipping

Featured Posts

During sailing with the motor off the gear lever was accidently engaged to forward. After an hour of sailing the motor was started and forward gear was engaged which resulted in a great deal of slipping from the gearbox. The gearbox oil level was found low and topped up which reduced the slipping however it still slips at high revs. Is this the result of sailing in gear or is it a coincidence? Will adjusting the gear linkage assist in resolving this problem?

During sailing with the motor off the gear lever was accidently engaged to forward. After an hour of sailing the motor was started and forward gear was engaged which resulted in a great deal of slipping from the gearbox. The gearbox oil level was found low and topped up which reduced the slipping however it still slips at high revs. Is this the result of sailing in gear or is it a coincidence? Will adjusting the gear linkage assist in resolving this problem?

The prop will rotate freely in the opposite direction whilst in gear. So I think sailing forwards with reverse engaged is ok. :banned: Forwards engaged would back drive the gearbox and potentially slip the clutch leading to premature failure. How long failure would take is anyones guess.

The engagement of the gear lever is very positive. If you disconnect the cable and try it by hand it is easy to see how far the lever needs to be moved. Pushing or pulling the lever beyond the engagement point makes no difference.

Edited by Chris M

The prop will rotate freely in the opposite direction whilst in gear. So I think sailing forwards with reverse engaged is ok. :banghead: Forwards engaged would back drive the gearbox and potentially slip the clutch leading to premature failure. How long failure would take is anyones guess.

The engagement of the gear lever is very positive. If you disconnect the cable and try it by hand it is easy to see how far the lever needs to be moved. Pushing or pulling the lever beyond the engagement point makes no difference.

As the Hurth is a mechanical box there is no way I can see the prop turning anything whilst the engaged gear locks the shaft to the stationary engine.

WE do not want to open the locked not locked prop for maximum sailing speed discussion on an inland group - i think.

I think it may just be coincidence and possibly drew attention to the slippage that was already there at high speed, however I am not too sure how you judge slippage at high speed until it gets very bad - then its obvious and would probably also slip at low speed.

Tony Brooks