Fitting a 'range' in a boat.

Featured Posts

Hi everyone - been away for a few months working but planning for some big boat alterations. Be warned there will be more of my usual questions!

I think this one is straightforward though.

We are getting the boat stretched this summer - i'll be sad to loose our little 23ft boat but we have now officially run out of space. I think the washing machine, dishwasher and fridge were to blame!

We have an eberspacher for heating the air in the boat, a alde for the hot water (and radiators though rarely used) and a gas stove for cooking. I am aware that when we get the boat stretched (another 10ft) that although I intend to do a good job insulating the stretch it is still going to affect the heating requirements. I estimate that the 2kw eberspacher will be enough most of the time, but in a really cold snap it may not cope. I would then put on the gas too but if iced in I am then reliant on having gas and diesel to hand.

Whilst browsing ebay I found a nice little stove which could offer a solution if we ever ran out of fuel, and if ever outside was so cold that the boat couldn't cope. (Plus I like the idea of a stove)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wood-Burning-Cooking-Stove-with-Oven-Solid-Fuel-Range-Cooker-/161725683483?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item25a79a171b

(By the way that one says 12kw but I will reduce the size of the burn area with fire bricks and only be burning wood - I have seen some other slightly smaller ones so may go with those but you get the idea)

Anyway enough explanation. How best do I fit one in so that it is effectively inline with the kitchen. I will obviously leave a gap each side and fire board the area around it as well as tiles etc. But behind there is going to be a large space (its going up against the gunwales so I will have about 20cm gap.

Its going to look messy with a gaping hole behind it. But I don't want to box the area in too much because heat needs to escape.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Doodlebug

Stack the bit behind it with firebricks, it'll store heat and stay warm for ages.

I'm in the middle of fitting a slightly bigger range to my boat, luckily it doesn't quite reach the gunwales but it does take up half my kitchen. http://www.stoves-etc.co.uk/Brands/LaNordica/LaNordicaMamyWoodBurningCooker

Ok good idea, that stove looks lovely by the way. I am thinking if I get the other stove of getting creative with some cream stove paint to lighten it up a bit.

My main concern is the overall size but hoping it wont be too hot!

I imagine the rating of stoves is when full of coal and the air vents open. Wood burns cooler than coal as far as I can work out.

Thanks

Doodlebug