boat stove

Bowie

Featured Posts

Our fire seems to have rather alot of chokes on it, one in the chimney, one on the door both of which we have come across but it also has one inside. This runs across the roof of the fire on runners so you can slide it forward and back. It also has a large bubble shape moulded in it, the fire seems to run ok with it pushed back or forward as it dosent cut off the air flow completely. Ive never come across this before and would like to know why it is there, as every time I put a log in it gets pushed back and Im not sure where it should be? Sorry ,dont know the make of stove but its a fairly new one I think. Thanks

Hi Bowie,

I think your stove is probably an Evergreen.

If so, there will be 2 circular vent knobs below the door, and two above it, plus the sliding domed plate inside.

I have experimented with mine and discussed best operation with the manufacturer and basically it is as follows.

When burning coal, keep the top air knobs closed to allow a flow of air underneath the great and up through the fuel by opening the lower ones. The more you open them the faster and hotter it burns. The sliding top plate can be central or right backwards to allow the flow though the fuel and exhaust over the plate and to the flue.

When burning logs or both, it is better to close the bottom knobs and open the top ones, to carry air downwards over the top of the logs. The inner plate should be right forward so the air is drawn through the fire, under the plate and to the flue via the rear of the plate. As logs contain a lot of moisture, the downward flow clears deposits and tar build up on the door glass. It is also important not to allow to high a build up of ash in the ash pan.

Mine has worked really well for the last year and stays in for up to 10 hours if we go out or overnight.

Hope this helps

Roger