What do you do?

Supermalc

Featured Posts

That was the last "true" narrowboat but their have been about four of these built since:-

But the proper "narrowboaters" don't like these because they aren't "proper" narrowboats are they? :P

I am not sure I understand this, is the problem the width or the 'style' of boat.

In this country I am not sure that it is worth having an inland waterways boat, unless it is capable of travelling through the majority of the canals, and certainly the rings. Being confined to the L&L (wonderful waterway that it is) is a little stultifing.

But the proper "narrowboaters" don't like these because they aren't "proper" narrowboats are they? :P

I'm not going to knock well made custom built boats like what Gary builds - long may he prosper - but if I don't like them as much as a more traditional style narrow boat it's not because of tradition for its own sake, or pseudo-heritage, but just because they're not as lovely to look at as a really well designed narrow boat (that excludes probably 95% of modern ones). Similarly, Warrior has a back cabin, which was one of its attractions when we bought it, and I like it because its cosy, it's a nice place to spend time, , the painting is a pleasure to look at (well, most of it), and I'm constantly thrilled by the ingenuity of the layout. You see something really attractive, like an old boat, and you think, that's lovely, I want something like that, or at least aspects of it - not to pretend that it's something that it isn't, but just because it's great. Just as modern housebuilders could (and are starting to) learn a lot from their Victorian equivalents.

I do, also, think history and preservation of genuine old boats is a vitally important issue, but that's another matter.

I think they look very smart Gary. I must agree, they don't look quite so stylish as traditional ones.

However, given they now carry people, instead of coal, pottery, cloth etc. which they were designed to do, space is at a premium.

So why haven't BW altered the bridges, from the 2million year old design, to something a bit more modern and practical. Then all boats could be built like yours. Just think of the headaches that would save (from people banging theirs on the sloping sides)

Change this

bridge1.jpg

to this

bridge3.jpg

or even this

bridge2.jpg

I'm not going to knock well made custom built boats like what Gary builds - long may he prosper - but if I don't like them as much as a more traditional style narrow boat it's not because of tradition for its own sake, or pseudo-heritage, but just because they're not as lovely to look at as a really well designed narrow boat (that excludes probably 95% of modern ones). Similarly, Warrior has a back cabin, which was one of its attractions when we bought it, and I like it because its cosy, it's a nice place to spend time, , the painting is a pleasure to look at (well, most of it), and I'm constantly thrilled by the ingenuity of the layout. You see something really attractive, like an old boat, and you think, that's lovely, I want something like that, or at least aspects of it - not to pretend that it's something that it isn't, but just because it's great. Just as modern housebuilders could (and are starting to) learn a lot from their Victorian equivalents.

I do, also, think history and preservation of genuine old boats is a vitally important issue, but that's another matter.

Sums up my feelings. If (I cannot afford it) I was having a boat built, I would be looking for functionality, comfort, convenience (both as a base to live on and to cruise) and safety. These are in no particular order, except safety. What the boat looks like would be less important however it would be essential that the boat could navigate both the L&L and the Llangollen. Good design often falls out of these four. I would not be asking for a stern that looks traditional or a Josher bow because it is traditional, but if the boat that resulted from my design criteria looked traditional, well so be it.

Despite his remarks, Garry's company would be on my list of possible builders. It looks like they build b***dy good boats

So why haven't BW altered the bridges, from the 2million year old design, to something a bit more modern and practical. Then all boats could be built like yours. Just think of the headaches that would save (from people banging theirs on the sloping sides)

Surprisingly bridges aren't a problem these boats are nearly exactly the same gauge as a traditional design they are 6'10" beam and actually have slightly less air draft than a "normal" narrowboat. Because the gunnel's are wider there is very little difference in dimension on the cabin either, the only real difference being the side sheets don't slope and are less deep basically its just a 6'10" broad beam.

You will see how they differ if you watch the video HERE

Edited by Gary Peacock

Actually I was thinking of how Dan crashed his :P

I didn't hit my wheelhouse going up the Soar last year, but if I do manage to get further this year, I'll have to do something to protect going through Saddinton. I think just a couple of battons of pine nailed to the top corners at an angel should do it. I'll have to have someone leg it over the top, to make sure it's clear first. Don't want to meet anyone. Not that I couldn't back out if necessary, and might even squeeze past, however not worth the hassle.

I'm open to ALL suggestions though :lol: :lol: :lol: