relay wiring

davehull

Featured Posts

Hi All

I am in the process of fitting a smartbank and after running all the wires and crimping terminals I have come to connecting every thing up. All was going well until I got to the relay, it has 4 terminals but only 2 wires (signal wires)connect to it, I have used white (battery) and black( domestic bank) coloured wires and connected them to the smartbank as per the wiring diagram, but am stumped as to which terminals to use on the relay.

The diagram shows 2 terminals but I can not relate these to the actual relay. On close inspection 2 of the terminals on the relay are linked together, I am assuming these are not to be used, does the smartbank work out it's self which wire (white/black) to charge which battery.

Any help,(photo's)would be greatly received.

Dave

• Greenie 1

Dave

No photos, as I'm not on the boat, but those spade terminals are interlinked in case you need to use two relays, to connect three banks of batteries. So with two banks you just connect the signal wires to one side of each spade terminal, leaving the other interlinked side of the terminal free.

The ring terminals on the relays with the nuts on are for the actual charging cables, and will connect the positives of the two banks together when the relay gets the signal to close. You need to have some appropriately heavy duty cabling going to these terminals, with the right, crimped lugs on, to handle the current that your alternator/battery charger will put out, or, if you are emergency paralleling the banks, the current that your starter might draw off the domestic bank.

Mike

Mike

Bottle - yes that's what I have, the relay has 4 spade connectors which is where my confusion lies.

Boredrider - that's spot on, I thought that was the case just wanted confirmation. I have had heavy duty cables made up to connect relay to each battery/bank, as well as new cables to connect my domestic bank together.

Dave

Bottle

I second guess myself so much sometimes that I can not see what's in front of my nose.

A little advice goes along way even if it's just reassurance, I pick up most things I need through searching threads but this one I had to ask.

Thanks again fellows, for the replies.

Dave