Leaking raw water pump?

Lorien

Featured Posts

Hi,

On the last day of the Xmas holiday (surprise) I discovered the raw water pump leaking at the front.

I'm presuming it's a jabsco as fitted to the 1.5 BMC

It's managed to fill the under engine tray so far so I thought I'd better get it fixed!!

Is this something that can be overhauled or repaired?

Regards,

Jim

They can be repaired. When mine went a couple of years ago the people I took it to get it repaired wanted nearly as much to repair as it cost for a new one. I went for a new one. If it's the front bearing seal or the gasket that has gone these can be replaced. If the shaft has worn probably best to get a new pump.

Hello,

Thanks.

It's dripping nicely from where the shaft comes out at the front, to the rear of the pulley.

I'm not afraid to repair but we are live aboards so I may follow the advice and replace for reliability.

Are original replacements still available?

Thanks,

Jim

Parts are available. Chances are its a pedestal mount 4900.

You may just need to nip up the nut on the gland.

Slacken lock nut, tighten gland nut a bit, job done.

You do want a drip about every 30 seconds.

If you need to replace the packing its available here http://www.asap-supplies.com/search/518-/jabsco-pump-packing-ring-3791

Edited by gazza

Mine had two little pots that I was supposed to top up with grease and then screw down every time I ran the engine. This wasn't the easiest of jobs because of where the pump is. My shaft wore and, as I said, the people I took it to wanted nearly as much as new pump. I bought a new pump that didn't have those grease pots and doesn't have to be lubricated every time I want to use the engine. Other than that they are repairable.

Pete.

That's a 4900.

Ours is identical.

The wrong grease had been used in ours blocking the heat exchanger tubes.

I let ours drip a bit and only put a tiny bit of grease in the front greaser very infrequently.

I'm Putting off a modern replacement as money needs spending elsewhere.

One day I shall have to bite the bullet though :-)

Yep the 4900 looks like the one I had. I replaced it with a jabsco 52040-2001. It wasn't a direct replacement because the original pump was a lot longer so I had to modify the mount somewhat but it went on and has been working flawlessly for 3 years now and no more hanging upside down in my engine ole to fill those silly little pots with grease.

• 2 months later...

Hi,

Sorry to drag up a post.

I just wanted to say thanks for the help people gave me.

I found that our pump was already a jabsco 2001, great I thought. Asap supplies we great and a few spares later I had the pump in bits, oh dear.

The spindle was quite worn around where the seals are, the front bearing was worn and the impeller etc etc

So I've replaced the complete pump, strengthened the bracket and fixings that were fairly poor.

We are back on track again!

So, thanks again.

Jim