Replacing cilinderhead Thornycroft T90

Dutchie

Featured Posts

Replacing cil head thornycroft T90

Why , last year the engine had bad cold starts , i found that 2 glowplugtips had broken tips and 1 a broken heater element , time for replacement.!

Foto540-6ZY83P86.jpg

thornycroft ID plate

Foto540-4T4SAYVI.jpg

rockerarms and pushrods

Foto540-EY66YNBI.jpg

ready for lift off

Foto540-HIT7EF6D.jpg

head removed , a test of the valves with petrol after cleaning says that 7 valves where leaking

Foto540-P8IAWB76.jpg

one broken tip off the glowplugs removed with this 4 mm diam. tool , i tick it 10 mm. into the burning chamber

then give a few ticks with a hammer to put the tip down via the fuelinjector hole (i think the length off the broken tip was too long for the burning chamber)

Foto540-FS4V8Z88.jpg

there he is ...

Foto540-E6J6AQNV.jpg

A local revise workshop did the job, valves where ok,. and valve guide where in good condition they told me

Foto540-86GQSJTB.jpg

new headgasket after cleaning the top off the block

Foto540-QFMRWSQC.jpg

repainted in thornycroft blue , also after testing the fuel injectors there opening pressure was stil 135 bar after 10 years , in 2004 i changed the nozzles for new bosch ones .

back on the engine , got some unf nuts from a local motorbikedealer , the nuts off the exhaust manifold where not so good anymore , its really difficiult to find nuts and bolts with this thread,here in Nl .also the exhaust manifold was repainted , new gaskets for the pipe from the exhaust cooler too the cil.head are made by myself from oldseacharttpaper,

Foto540-TCVFIM6O.jpg

rockersarms back on the head

but before i got also the 3 headnut problem , i had no crowfoot

i did it on an alternative way

i turn the rockerarms and shaft 180deg, and mount it only with the 4 headnuts (the exhaust cooler was not mounted ) , on this way it was possible too torque all the nuts on the right way

after torque it at 10 kgf. , after this i remove the 4 nuts off the rockerarms and shaft and remove it and put it back, turn this one 180 deg. and mount and torque again the 4 headnuts .

check and made the right valve clearences ,

fill up antifreeze and water and check all hoses for leakages

then bleeding the DPA fuel pump and injectors .

and give it a try too start with a full big battery after 30 seconds glowing ,it came back to live , after a minute it was really running as a young lady

a testtrip was good for bleeding the coolwatersystem and i found two little leakages one at a coolwater hose and a fuelinjector pipe nut , after retorque this the problem was over .

i start the engine after a week after a very cold night it starts after 10 sec. glowing real quickly and is running very nice without any smoke , i,m happy smile.png

all the best and Merry X mas too all from Vincent from the netherlands

PS. after how many hours i need retorque the headnuts ? (the local workshop told me that i can pick up a crowfoot for the famous three nuts under the rockershaft)

Foto540-AYIQHWXO.jpg

Edited by Dutchie

So why not go the whole hog and paint the rocker cover? Very good thread as well. I mean the content not the unf. lol

The cover is Chromed from factory in these days by Thornycroft , its was really in excellent condition after cleaning

Edited by Dutchie