Mechanic in Saltford / bath for volvo penta Austin montego timing belt change

Featured Posts

• 2 weeks later...
As no one has responded I will give some thoughts.

The manual seems clear enough and having done the job a few times on the petrol version it seems to me to be within the abilities of a careful DIYer. The main question is ease of access to the front of the engine. If it was my boat and the engine access were poor I would be cutting a hole in the rear bulkhead and using self drilling & tapping “purling screws” to fit a blanking cover. They are usually 5.5mm so if one strips you can tap the hole for a 6mm setscrew. Screw the cover onto mastic and keep the bottom well above engine bed level to minimise the dangers of flooding.

The “drifts” they talk of should be available in an engine locking kit from your local Motor Factors but for a one off job a selection of bolts can often be pressed into service, maybe one or two would need filing to diameter. In any case they are only used to prevent engine parts turning while you do the job, especially when doing the belt tension.

Just be very methodical, check each step at least twice and take your time.

I have doubts that a boat engineer will have or use a belt tension gauge, any more than hundreds of car mechanics. They would tighten the belt until they would just twist it through 90 degrees. This is said to have the potential to damage the belt but vast numbers of cars are running about without problems. Its your call.

I also doubt many would actually use the locking pins & screws, even if they had them. Most (as I would without locking pins) would put witness marks on the three main sprockets and adjacent bits of engine. I would use a centre punch but Tippex would also do. If you keep these marks lined up when you fit and adjust the belt all should be fine.

The VITAL thing is to turn the engine over, by HAND, at least TWO complete turns when you have done. If the engine locks do not force it because a valve will have hit a piston. Turn it back so the marks line up, take the belt off and try again.

The engine may stop turning as if you are trying to compress a spring (that is with a bit of give) but if so this is compression and you should hear air hissing down past the piston rings. Just pause a while and then carry on turning.

At the very worst you will find the engine locks during the manual turning over and you will not be able to resolve it. In that case you will still have to pay an engineer but if you take care this should not happen.