Yanmar generator problem

tiresias

Featured Posts

We recently fitted a new open-framed generator, obtained via ebay, low hours (25), said to be ex-MOD. It has a Yanmar engine 4.2/5kW, with an Italian alternator. It has a large control box with a front door that contains a single control knob (2 position manual or auto); a display with about 8 indicator lights; and a red emegency stop button. It is capable of being started by radio control, but we are only using it in manual mode. There don't seem to be any labels on or in the control box, but we know that the radio control seems to be by a British company. Someone has written "Histar" on the top of the box in felt marker.

When it is running a power light is lit, and a red manual/auto light flashes.

It works OK, but then after an arbitrary amount of time (anything from a few secs to an hour) it stops running. The power light and manual/auto lights go out; and a light on the panel starts flashing constantly which is marked with what looks like a picture of a running rabbit/hare.

It has been particularly troublesome this morning. When it cut out we tried to restart it several times (even with the Victron switched off) but each time it cut out in the same way after about 10 secs.

Does anyone know what the rabbit/hare symbol might mean, or what the problem is likely to be ?

Alternatively, is there a forum somewhere dealing with generator problems ?

Hare = over speeding?

Thanks - I think that's it. After a bit of Googling I found an operating manual for a "DEEP SEA ELECTRONICS PLC 701 KEY START MODULE" which describes warning light symbols that are the same as ours (though ours isn't necessarily by the same manufacturer), and there is the running hare symbol described thus:

OVERSPEED: If the engine speed exceds the pre-set trip (14% above the nominal frequency) a shutdown is initiated. Overspeed is not delayed, it is an immediate shutdown.

The engine does have a speed control lever with "half speed" and "full speed" markings. I had assumed it was just 2 position and had it set to full speed - but maybe it is a gradual adjustment. Next time we run it I'll try nudging the lever down a fraction.

• 1 month later...