Working aboard

Julesie

Featured Posts

Hello...me again rolleyes.gif

When the time comes to choose a live aboard I was also considering a smaller boat to work on too. I am a Complementary Therapist and was thinking of having a second smaller boat so that I could practice from it whilst the husband can be at the other end with his magazine editing work.

Where would I find T&C's for such a set up and is this possible?

Business licence from CRT, the appropriate BSC for the boat, which isn't the same as the one for a leisure craft or live aboard, the right insurance cover.

You may need to register with the local authority, which could need a permanent mooring, again via CRT or a marina, but not many marinas will be happy if you're trading from their premises, especially if you need your clients to come to you. You then also need to consider health and safety issues as well as providing disabled access to meet the legal requirements for premises accessible to the public. (Possibly going as far as a wheelchair lift and crane from the shore to the boat). It can all be done, but it will require careful negotiation and planning.

You'll save some money on the licence and insurance if the boat you're using doesn't have an engine, but is towed when necessary. If you need mains power for your equipment, you'll either need a shore supply, which will only be possible in a marina or near equivalent or a super quiet generator, which cost a couple of thousand or more.

Good luck!

Some of the people on the forum currently trading from their boats will probably offer advice when they get chance...