Welded skin fitting/outlet

Featured Posts

Hi All,

Where can I source weld in skin fittings? Or am I stuck with bolt in brass/stainless? Or should I not consider the weld in route and if so why not?

Regards Glenn

Weld in a standard iron socket (i.e. with an internal bsp pipe thread) then screw in the appropriate brass fitting to attach to your pipework.

Granted, could do that but would also like the nice domed bit on the outside, are these types of fittings not available? BTW thanks for the replyclapping.gif

Genn - I've never seen them. I've only ever seen either welded pipe which has then been ground off smooth, or as David has suggested above.

Personally I've got the traditional brass fittings and had no issues (yet!).

Genn - I've never seen them. I've only ever seen either welded pipe which has then been ground off smooth, or as David has suggested above.

Personally I've got the traditional brass fittings and had no issues (yet!).

Thanks Kae, Looks like ones I have seen must have been blacked brass then, I saw some at Crick on Viking boats that appeared to be welded but could be wrongfrusty.gif ..

Cheers Glenn

i think as has been suggested, that most people weld a steel socket in. I dislike the brass bolt in type and have had them shear off. If I had another shell built, I would only have welded in steel sockets.

Be aware that although the steel sockets are a good solution in many ways, they can and do rust away. I've had to renew a few in recent years.

Tim

Interesting. Could stainless ones be welded in, or would that lead to possible electrolysis problems against the mild steel hull?

I have wondered about welding a small piece of steel either side of the brass fittings on my boat to help prevent shearing off.

Edited by Guest

Interesting. Could stainless ones be welded in, or would that lead to possible electrolysis problems against the mild steel hull?

You can get odd effects underwater with stainless welded to mild steel, but I'd expect it to be OK above water.

The failed fittings I've seen have all been 20 + years old, BTW.

Tim

You can get odd effects underwater with stainless welded to mild steel, but I'd expect it to be OK above water.

The failed fittings I've seen have all been 20 + years old, BTW.

Tim

Thanks, makes sense. I know that where I once worked, they would sometimes weld stainless to mild on road tankers for various reasons.