Battery Filler Caps

Jus73

Featured Posts

Does anyone know if you can buy spare filler caps for batteries. The cross heads on the original filler caps are becoming worn and they are increasingly more difficult to remove when topping the batteries up. Also is there a special tool to remove them with?

Many thanks

Justin

<_<

Scrap yard and a two pence piece!

Is the two pence piece used to buy the caps or remove them, or both? The local tip may be cheaper than a scrap yard! <_<

Seriously, the caps can be seized on a new battery. The slots often have a curve unsuited to a standard screwdriver; you could grind a tool to fit. Perhaps cleaning followed by a lubricant such as Vaseline or silicone grease (even furniture polish) would reduce the problem?

I use a very large screwdriver but agree with Jon - finger tight only! I hate the sight of chewed-up screw slots and rounded-off nuts - a strong indicator of a poor engineer!

Otherwise, a soldering iron followed by Stanley Knife surgery should restore the profile.

Alan

Thanks for that. I shall try the local refuse tip.

And I admit it!! I have probably been tightening them to much, but the caps were tight when I purchased the batteries so i presumed that was how tight they should be!?

(thats my excuse anyway)

My screws and nuts are in perfect working order (if you pardon the pun!). <_<