Featured Posts

Hi All!

I am in the process of planning my first summer cruising.

In preparation I am getting the engine fully checked over and any work done in advance. I'm also arranging to go out on several short journeys to get the hang of steering, locks and boat etiquette. (I am a complete novice). From what I gather from the forum's experienced users, the only way to learn is to actually get out and do it, balls up on occasion and learn from it boat.gifbiggrin.png (I have been watching the Prunella Scales & Timothy West series on More 4 and see that ballsing up is not just the preserve of noviceswink.png)

The GB summer is very short and I am hoping to make the most of it icecream.gif I would love to travel from Nottingham to Cambridgeshire and explore Cambridgeshire over the summer while I consider mooring options for the winter.

I know this is ambitious for my first summer, but feel that a summer cruising and becoming familiar with locks and different waterways will to build my confidence and skills and allow me an insight into the reality of continual cruising which is an option I am considering for the future.

I think that there is a route planner that I could use to plan my trip, but am unable to locate it. If anyone could point this out that would be great. Does anyone recommend using a checklist of any kind? Some boaters I have met have made up their own which they follow prior to setting off. Are there any supplies other than fuel, food & drink, basic first aid and tool kit that are a must have?

I will be planning regular stops and some will be unplanned due to weather conditions, no doubt. If there are any points of interest / stops that are recommended along the way I would love to hear about them along with any hints & tips that I may have overlooked as a novice.

Many thanks in advance for all replies!

Hi All!

I am in the process of planning my first summer cruising.

In preparation I am getting the engine fully checked over and any work done in advance. I'm also arranging to go out on several short journeys to get the hang of steering, locks and boat etiquette. (I am a complete novice). From what I gather from the forum's experienced users, the only way to learn is to actually get out and do it, balls up on occasion and learn from it boat.gifbiggrin.png (I have been watching the Prunella Scales & Timothy West series on More 4 and see that ballsing up is not just the preserve of noviceswink.png)

The GB summer is very short and I am hoping to make the most of it icecream.gif I would love to travel from Nottingham to Cambridgeshire and explore Cambridgeshire over the summer while I consider mooring options for the winter.

I know this is ambitious for my first summer, but feel that a summer cruising and becoming familiar with locks and different waterways will to build my confidence and skills and allow me an insight into the reality of continual cruising which is an option I am considering for the future.

I think that there is a route planner that I could use to plan my trip, but am unable to locate it. If anyone could point this out that would be great. Does anyone recommend using a checklist of any kind? Some boaters I have met have made up their own which they follow prior to setting off. Are there any supplies other than fuel, food & drink, basic first aid and tool kit that are a must have?

I will be planning regular stops and some will be unplanned due to weather conditions, no doubt. If there are any points of interest / stops that are recommended along the way I would love to hear about them along with any hints & tips that I may have overlooked as a novice.

Many thanks in advance for all replies!

Sounds like a good adventure. Still water is much easier than moving water so just be careful of the state of the rivers (Trent, Soar and Nene presuming you are going that way) and have the right equipment (anchor, life ring, maybe lifejacket). If heavy rain comes you can expect the rivers to get more excited in the next day or two and so lying low at a mooring might be safest. Always keep an eye on the colour coded level boards when on rivers and, being a novice, I would advise against moving the boat when in the orange, and definitely not when in the red.

Presuming you go up the Soar, it is a very pleasant river apart from the bit through central Leicester, however my personal preference is for canals since you are then not necessarily at the lowest point of the land with only a view of the bank. The Leicester section of the Grand Union is particularly pleasant and be sure to take the detours to Market Harborough and Welford. Cambridgeshire is pretty flat and so not my personal choice, although it does have its own particular type of charm.

The planner is here:

http://canalplan.org.uk/

I believe part of the route in the fens is tidal - by then you will have a fairly good idea what you are doing, but do your research on the tidal rivers and take local advice on when to transit etc.

Edited by nicknorman
  • Greenie 1

Sounds like a good adventure. Still water is much easier than moving water so just be careful of the state of the rivers (Trent, Soar and Nene presuming you are going that way) and have the right equipment (anchor, life ring, maybe lifejacket). If heavy rain comes you can expect the rivers to get more excited in the next day or two and so lying low at a mooring might be safest. Always keep an eye on the colour coded level boards when on rivers and, being a novice, I would advise against moving the boat when in the orange, and definitely not when in the red.

Presuming you go up the Soar, it is a very pleasant river apart from the bit through central Leicester, however my personal preference is for canals since you are then not necessarily at the lowest point of the land with only a view of the bank. The Leicester section of the Grand Union is particularly pleasant and be sure to take the detours to Market Harborough and Welford. Cambridgeshire is pretty flat and so not my personal choice, although it does have its own particular type of charm.

The planner is here:

http://canalplan.org.uk/

I believe part of the route in the fens is tidal - by then you will have a fairly good idea what you are doing, but do your research on the tidal rivers and take local advice on when to transit etc.

Great Advice! Thank you, nicknorman!

Do you think it may be advisable to elicit the help of a more experienced crew member on trickier waters that you have highlighted if I am able to do this? Also would the RYA training be of help for this in your opinion? I have heard very mixed reviews on it. Maybe picking up a RYA instructor to guide us through the tidal waters may add to our experience and act as a safety measure?

Thank you so much again for taking the time to reply!clapping.gif

We both had RYA training, (on the River Trent) and have to say we found it most useful, particularly as it substantially boosted our confidence.

We'd not used any training on the canals, (but a strong river is a totally different kettle of fish.

The best advice is - be prepared for the worst/unexpected. You will hear experienced boatmen say things like "Ah - you don't need an anchor/vhf/lifejacket - accidents rarely happen" Thankfully, accidents are rare, but if you are taken by surprise by the weather/flow, or there is an accident, you're much more likely to escape with minimal damage if you are prepared......even the (normally) straightforward 'Man overboard' procedures are worth learning.

Edited by Grace & Favour

I've no experience of the RYA training so I can't comment. I think navigating the rivers is normally not difficult - the current over weirs etc is little and will only affect your boat if the engine stops (so make sure it is properly prepared!) - provided the river is not in flood. The skill and experience comes in knowing when to say "Stop, tie up, the conditions are getting too severe" before things get out of hand.

By the time you get to the tidal bit you will have a better idea of whether you can handle it alone, but if not then, provided you keep the forum entertained with regular updates of your progress, I would expect that a volunteer or two might come out of the woodwork to help you!

Whilst I think of it, the many wide locks climbing up out of Leicester are particularly hard work! Don't rush or become disheartened, and preferably team up with another boat - it is then so much easier!

Which brings up a thought - presumably your boat is narrow beam ie narrow boat or cruiser with 7' beam or less? Otherwise you won't get through the narrow locks!

We both had RYA training, (on the River Trent) and have to say we found it most useful, particularly as it substantially boosted our confidence.

We'd not used any training on the canals, (but a strong river is a totally different kettle of fish.

The best advice is - be prepared for the worst/unexpected. You will hear experienced boatmen say things like "Ah - you don't need an anchor/vhf/lifejacket - accidents rarely happen" Thankfully, accidents are rare, but if you are taken by surprise by the weather/flow, or there is an accident, you're much more likely to escape with minimal damage if you are prepared......even the (normally) straightforward 'Man overboard' procedures are worth learning.

Great advice! Very much appreciated Grace & Favour. I will put the RYA course on my to do list.

Thank you for taking the time to reply wink.png

I've no experience of the RYA training so I can't comment. I think navigating the rivers is normally not difficult - the current over weirs etc is little and will only affect your boat if the engine stops (so make sure it is properly prepared!) - provided the river is not in flood. The skill and experience comes in knowing when to say "Stop, tie up, the conditions are getting too severe" before things get out of hand.

By the time you get to the tidal bit you will have a better idea of whether you can handle it alone, but if not then, provided you keep the forum entertained with regular updates of your progress, I would expect that a volunteer or two might come out of the woodwork to help you!

Whilst I think of it, the many wide locks climbing up out of Leicester are particularly hard work! Don't rush or become disheartened, and preferably team up with another boat - it is then so much easier!

Which brings up a thought - presumably your boat is narrow beam ie narrow boat or cruiser with 7' beam or less? Otherwise you won't get through the narrow locks!

Thanks again! Yes my boat is a cruiser so all should be well in terms of navigating narrow locks. I need to make sure the engine is tip top though as if it fails us on tricky water, we would be in trouble and have an altogether different adventure!

I think that I will do my best to get a boat to come along to share trickier parts of the journey, just to be on the safe side. Great idea! Thanks.

I have patience and I'm willing to put in the hard work and safety measures needed to build my confidence and skills in a way that does not compromise my safety or the safety of others and allows me to enjoy my learning.

Thank you again for your reply. Great advice! I really appreciate it wink.png