One-way narrowboat hire on the K&A?

anniewhere

Featured Posts

Hi everyone,

I'm planning to move my boat on the K&A towards Reading and then on to London this spring (whenever weather permits). Two friends of mine would like to come along, but we won't all fit on my boat, so I suggested they could hire their own. Is it possible to hire boats one-way, ie. return them in a different location (like it is often done with rental cars)? I guess it would only be bigger operators offering this, maybe one of you has an idea.

Alternatively, they could stay in B&Bs etc along the way I guess, but it wouldn't be ideal.

Thanks for any tips!

Edited by anniewhere

Don't know of a hire base down here that will do one way hire , can but ask , give them a ring ? ABC at Hilperton may be looking to move a boat to Aldermaston, but rare and doubtful, usually have their own crews. Think B and B may be your best bet, or if its a good summer a tent, if only extra sleeping room is required . Bunny.

• 2 weeks later...

Have to say the answer is most probably NO. It's something we've been looking for for quite a few years. I understand Anglowelsh have bases at Bath, Monkton Coombe & Bradford on Avon, but they don't do one-way. They used to do one-way hire between some of their other bases, but not on the K&A. Shame really, as I think it would be popular.