Boat Covers

Richard Martin

Featured Posts

We are about to get quotations for covers for the front and rear of our cruiser style narrowboat. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what material we should be selecting or what fittings we should opt for for fixing to the boat.

We have a local company who are offering a cover without the fixings, has anyone go any opinions as to which fixing we should be using.

We are about to get quotations for covers for the front and rear of our cruiser style narrowboat.  Does anyone have any suggestions as to what material we should be selecting or what fittings we should opt for for fixing to the boat.

We have a local company who are offering a cover without the fixings, has anyone go any opinions as to which fixing we should be using.

Dear Richard. I think the material for covers is pretty standard. We had covers fitted on our new boat which was delivered last year. They keep everything clean and dry and are well worthwhile. However what ever you do have at least the rear cover fitted with elastic loops and hooks to fasten it. The rear cover needs to be tight to avoid a pond forming in the centre on a cruiser stern. Our cover uses press studs to secure it and they are the very devil to get on round the back of the boat.

Dear Richard.  I think the material for covers is pretty standard.

When I ordered my cover I was offered a very wide range of materials for it's manufacture. Having spent seven years in the commercial furniture trade, I based my choice on my prior experience of a variety of upholstery coverings, and suprise, suprise, I chose the most expensive. It is difficult to explain the differences in quality, but a few suggestions might help. If you are going for a PVC covered material, go for a natural backing cloth, rather than synthetic, this will keep it's tension better and unlike nylon based materials, will not be subjected to expansion when it gets cold and damp. Secondly feel the thickness of the pvc covering, basicly the thicker the better. Thirdly, and probobly most important, feel the quality, it should be robust and flexible, with a tough outer skin. Ask the supplier to give you some offcuts and conduct some experiments, does it mark easily when rubbed with a blunt indtrument? will it bend easily without marking but return to it's flattened shape? will to stretch just a little but return to normal when released. If you are going for a traditional Canvas Cover, choose Cotton Based, rather than Synthetic which will stretch and billow as soon as the weather gets wet and blowy, and choose the most robust material available.

I had my Cratch Canopy made by AJ Canopies at Braunston seven years ago at a cost of £400, today I guess that would be at least £500. It was a lot at the time but was worth it, the canopy still looks good and apart from resealing the seams each year, and the occasional wash, requires no maintenance.

Richard.

I much prefer heavy duty traditional canvas, a bit like a good quality sports jacket, it can still look good even it is old and worn.

I would certainly make them supply and fit all the fasteners, it is half the job, make them responsible for the finished job.

When I ordered my cover I was offered a very wide range of materials for it's manufacture. Having spent seven years in the commercial furniture trade,  I based my choice on my prior experience of a variety of upholstery coverings, and suprise, suprise, I chose the most expensive.  It is difficult to explain the differences in quality, but a few suggestions might help. If you are going for a PVC covered material, go for a natural backing cloth, rather than synthetic, this will keep it's tension better and unlike nylon based materials, will not be subjected to expansion when it gets cold and damp. Secondly feel the thickness of the pvc covering, basicly the thicker the better. Thirdly, and probobly most important, feel the quality, it should be robust and flexible, with a tough outer skin. Ask the supplier to give you some offcuts and conduct some experiments, does it mark easily when rubbed with a blunt indtrument? will it bend easily without marking but return to it's flattened shape? will to stretch just a little but return to normal when released.  If you are going for a traditional Canvas Cover, choose Cotton Based, rather than Synthetic which will stretch and billow as soon as the weather gets wet and blowy, and choose the most robust material available.

I had my Cratch Canopy made by AJ Canopies at Braunston seven years ago at a cost of £400, today I guess that would be at least £500. It was a lot at the time but was worth it, the canopy still looks good and apart from resealing the seams each year, and the occasional wash, requires no maintenance.

Had mine done by same company end of last year in blue acrylic. Pleased with end result after false start but wont go into details as all was fine in the end.

I think I can probobly understand what you mean, you have to tune into the Braunston style of business negotiations. It took me a while but I eventually realised that despite the rather wooly style of verbal quotations, you always get a fair deal. I left the arrangements that someone would measure up the boat and fit the cover sometime over the next few weeks. When I returned to the boat about two weeks later, the cover was fitted and the bill was inside the front well. Most of the work I have had done on the boat in Braunston since then has been on a similar basis without any problems.

• 2 years later...
I think the material for covers is pretty standard. They keep everything clean and dry and are well worthwhile. However what ever you do have at least the rear cover fitted with elastic loops and hooks to fasten it. The rear cover needs to be tight to avoid a pond forming in the centre on a cruiser stern.

Just nudging and old topic rather than starting a new one.

Is this the right sort of stuff for making my own, or what should I be looking for?

Just nudging and old topic rather than starting a new one.

Is this the right sort of stuff for making my own, or what should I be looking for?

Moley, Get a sample, try and stretch it - I suspect that it will give quite a bit as this is an upholstery fabric and is designed to. You might get away with this cloth for a cratch cover but it will probably sag quite badly if used for a cruiser stern. It does not say if it has a cotton lining but beware if it has, you also need to see if it shrinks after coming off the roll as this will create a lot of tension if the cloth has been fitted fairly tightly to start with. Personally I do not think that you will get much life from it and for all the time and trouble involved in making your own cloths I would hunt out a local firm that makes lorry curtains and tarpaulins, it might not be as pretty but will last until the sun breaks it down or your thread rots out and should come in at similair cost.

regards Turnbuttonboy

We had a toneau cover for the semi trad and a cratch cover for the front cockpit mad about five years ago and both have shrunk and quite literally pulled themselves apart. The company that made are no longer in business so I might go to AJ as they are local to us.

Tony

Is this the right sort of stuff for making my own?

That's a NO then, thanks guys.

I still reckon I can save a few quid and make my own stern cover quite easily, but will check out a local tarpaulin and covers manufacturer as per turnbuttonboy's suggestion.