Does celling price depend on region?

Water_Rat

Featured Posts

Hi All

I am looking into buying my first boat.

Idealy I would like to find a boat in London where I live.

I was wondering if the prices for boats are higher in London than outside of London.

Or is a e.g £35.000 priced boat in Bradford on Avov of the same quality as a boat in London?

Any help would be appreciated. clapping.gif

Many Thanks

Philip

Hi All

I am looking into buying my first boat.

Idealy I would like to find a boat in London where I live.

I was wondering if the prices for boats are higher in London than outside of London.

Or is a e.g £35.000 priced boat in Bradford on Avov of the same quality as a boat in London?

Any help would be appreciated. clapping.gif

Many Thanks

Philip

Welcome to the forum and Happy New Year

If the boat is on an established (and legal!) mooring in London it will, normally, command a much higher price than on on the K&A.

If you buy a boat without a London mooring, you may have some difficulty finding a suitable mooring and could end up paying more for a mooring than you pay for your boat.

Recent changes have come in which have begun to make continuous mooring on unofficial canalside moorings more difficult,and could result in boats being removed, so beware, find a mooring then find your boat, would be my advise.

Good luck, keep us posted

Thank a lot for your reply.

I am more wondering about the actual price of the boat. If it's higher in London than in outside of London.

Cheers

N.B: My friend has been living on a boat in London for half a year and he never had any morring problems. He moves on every two weeks

Thank a lot for your reply.

I am more wondering about the actual price of the boat. If it's higher in London than in outside of London.

Cheers

N.B: My friend has been living on a boat in London for half a year and he never had any morring problems. He moves on every two weeks

He may start having problems this year, if rumours are true.

As for the cost of the boat, that will run from a few thousand for a small fibreglass or wooden cruiser that needs a lot of work to fifty times that or more for a good quality, large boat on an officially sanctioned, transferable, residential mooring. Or up to a couple of million for a houseboat on the Chelsea moorings. I bought a cheap but serviceable smallish Springer, and the mooring rental is half the purchase price of the boat per year.

We've just bought our boat after some pretty intense looking. We found some Very nice boats for sale in the London area, but also found we would get a lot more for our money the farther away from London we went, and then there is in general a fair difference in the price between North & South as well.

Really all depends on what type, style, size and finish level your looking for, how much you want or are able to do yourself in fixing it up. Whether your prepared to buy private or only through a brokerage firm.

Best advise we were given at the stage your currently at is, "go look at as many boats as you possibly can". Figure out what you want and then start looking for the boat that meets your criteria or close to it.

Good Luck and welcome to the forum

B~

ETA - Solid advice given above, research the C&RT site and familiarize yourself with the different licenses and what they entail as far as mooring is concerned - it's a big step, don't rely on something a friend does, make sure You know what the requirements are.

Edited by Bettie Boo

He may start having problems this year, if rumours are true.

What rumours?

I must say from my limited experience of London canals, the overcrowding is ludicrous. Boats breasted up three and four deep for hundreds of yards on the public moorings I visited on the Regent's Canal recently for example, and it's about time something was done to stop the swarms of starry-eyed newcomers like the OP from clogging up the London waterways completely.

But I can't see what powers CRT have to do about it, so I'd be very interested to hear what these rumours are please.

MtB

What rumours?

I must say from my limited experience of London canals, the overcrowding is ludicrous. Boats breasted up three and four deep for hundreds of yards on the public moorings I visited on the Regent's Canal recently for example, and it's about time something was done to stop the swarms of starry-eyed newcomers like the OP from clogging up the London waterways completely.

But I can't see what powers CRT have to do about it, so I'd be very interested to hear what these rumours are please.

MtB

The rumours that have been repeatedly quoted in here since I started following the forum in September that the enforcement regime for "bridge hoppers" in the London area is about to get stricter. Unless that's just been wishful thinking on the posters' behalf, of course.

I don't have any contacts at CRT to check, maybe we have a senior CRT staff member reading this who could comment?

ETA. In the licence agreement, a Continuous Cruiser has to to exactly that, and I believe that CRT have powers to act against people continuously shuttling up and down a short stretch of canal. Their use of these powers seems to be annoying some on the Kennet & Avon and Gloucester & Sharpness, according to another thread running here at the moment.

Edited by John Williamson 1955