Dinette

Circe

Featured Posts

We've just had our boat repainted and a new cratch cover (We're looking ridiculously shiny boater at the moment). So it's time to start saving up again for a few alterations to her innards.

The boat is actually fitted out pretty well, but it's a 45ft boat with 5 of us on board, so I'm wondering about altering the galley area layout a bit. I think it'll work - but you will know far better than I do!

It's currently four full-sized kitchen chipboards facing two full sized kitchen cupboards, a full sized cooker and the fridge. I'm half-thinking of removing one side of this and having a small dinette that converts to a single bunk. Basically a dinette with enough space for 2 people to eat. It would leave us a bit short of cupboard space (although there would be unused space under the dinette seats). It's right next to the hopper hatch, so it does appeal - especially as I often have to take work on board and it'd give me a table.

Ultimately the rest of the galley would need refitting - smaller cooker/over head cupboards etc BUT I think we could muddle through with what we have for quite a while to enable savings part 3!

So the question is really what sort of price would you think the dinette would alterations would be? Are there any recommendations for people to go to/people to avoid to do the work? We're moored on the Llan at the moment, but have boat and can travel!

We've just had our boat repainted and a new cratch cover (We're looking ridiculously shiny boater at the moment). So it's time to start saving up again for a few alterations to her innards.

The boat is actually fitted out pretty well, but it's a 45ft boat with 5 of us on board, so I'm wondering about altering the galley area layout a bit. I think it'll work - but you will know far better than I do!

It's currently four full-sized kitchen chipboards facing two full sized kitchen cupboards, a full sized cooker and the fridge. I'm half-thinking of removing one side of this and having a small dinette that converts to a single bunk. Basically a dinette with enough space for 2 people to eat. It would leave us a bit short of cupboard space (although there would be unused space under the dinette seats). It's right next to the hopper hatch, so it does appeal - especially as I often have to take work on board and it'd give me a table.

Ultimately the rest of the galley would need refitting - smaller cooker/over head cupboards etc BUT I think we could muddle through with what we have for quite a while to enable savings part 3!

So the question is really what sort of price would you think the dinette would alterations would be? Are there any recommendations for people to go to/people to avoid to do the work? We're moored on the Llan at the moment, but have boat and can travel!

If you are looking to make a dinette that will convert into a single bed, I assume that it will need to be about 2metres long, in which case, is there any reason why you cannot have one which will convert into a small double?

I designed and built a bed/setee unit for our boat, the design can be altered to meet individual needs, and has been copied by quite few forum members. If you are interested, PM your email address and I can send you some sketch drawings and photos.

Edited by David Schweizer

If you are looking to make a dinette that will convert into a single bed, I assume thatit will need to be about 2metres long, in which case, is there any reason why you cannot have one which will convert into a small double?

I designed and built a bed/setee unit for our boat, the design can be altered to meet individual needs, and has been copied by quite few forum members. If you are interested, PM your email address and I can send you some sketch drawings and photos.

That's really kind, David. Thank you very much!

The dinette would be directly opposite the cooker/fridge/kitchen units. Length isn't an issue, but the width is. I'm hopeful it'll fit as a single, but as my husband frequently points out, shape and space isn't my forte!

Forum member Kitsto has this layout on their boat Nb Daisy Mutlar. Or at least it had that layout 7 years ago when under the previous owner. Kitsto might not be able to help you with a carpenter to price up building one, but if seeing one is helpful there may be photos they could share with you?

• 1 month later...

Apologies - I haven't been keeping an eye on the discussion forum recently. BlueStringPudding - thank you for mentioning it. BlueStringPudding is right. My boat (which is all of 35 feet long) has a dinette opposite the solid fuel stove at the front of the boat, and the dinette does convert into a single that will actually sleep a slim six-footer. What is extraordinary about it was that when I saw in the notes that came with the boat that the dinette converts I simply didn't believe it. I assumed it would be big enough for a hobbit.

Essentially you slip the table out of the groove that attaches the table to the wall,and you fold away the truss that supports the table. You then use the table to bridge the gap between the two seats. And - this is the clever bit - a panel that makes up the back of one of the seats can be removed to give an extra six inches for your tootsies and it's this that makes all the difference. The other clever thing is that the seat cushions all fit together like a mosaic to make the mattress. All of this may be standard practice but since I'm new to boating and this is my first boat it all seems fantastically ingenious to me. I also have a fixed double at the back of the boat but often sleep in this single out of preference because it's cosier, being near the stove. I can't take any credit. It was all done by a previous owner.

Circe, it may be that you've got what you need from David Schweizer and, since your concern is really with width (creating a double) rather than length, there may not be much I can add. But if you want photos showing how the dinette converts, just say and I can take some and post them here or privately to you.

If you are looking to make a dinette that will convert into a single bed, I assume that it will need to be about 2metres long, in which case, is there any reason why you cannot have one which will convert into a small double?

David,

I've PM'd you