Tunnel rules

Arthur Marshall

Featured Posts

Just a guess, but it could be in case a boat using petrol is going through. There are fumes that can ignite. Maybe would never happen but think of the damage if it does explode. Rules are rules and always better to follow them even if it doesn't seem to apply at the time, or you could just disregard and live in anarchy. cool.png

As I said above, fair enough - I was just checking to see if anyone knew if it WAS a rule, as it isn't quoted in the bumpf they hand out. Still seems daft though if you can have pilot lights fizzing away merrily. I'll just make sure it's damped right down and not making any smoke, which I suspect is the main danger rather than a glowing bit of coal in a sealed box.

Although, of course, I am, politically speaking, an anarchist it doesn't mean it's compulsory to break rules, you just have to take reponsibility for what you do about them!

We went through Braunston Tunnel last week. Had the stove lit, but not producing any visible smoke in the daylight. Anyway after a few hundred yards I was surprised how much smoke was building ahead of the boat. Behind us was crystal clear. The boat appeared to be acting as a piston forcing all the smoke ( or what little of it there was ) ahead of us. Made me wonder at the time how it must have been in there in the days of steam tugs.