Featured Posts

Hi. now that the temperatures are beginning to drop and the days and getting shorter (how bleak) i have tried out the Efel multi-fuel burning a couple of time on our new-ish narrow boat. to cut to the chase, it smokes pretty much from every crack and orifice (!), until a point about an hour down the line when it is hot and burning coal when it seems to become more efficient. This burner is tall and slender (!) with a small door down below (!) and a slightly larger one at the top, through which you can deliver fuel in whichever form you are using. the flue comes out of the back on the burner, around a third of the way down the upright cylinder of the main body. at the moment smokes leaks heavily out of the top between the body and the hot plate, between the seals of the upper door, and anywhere else it can manage in the upper third of the burner. Is this burner just a shit design?? I've not seen one of these before and can't even find a picture on google. I can see how i might be able to replace the seal on the upper door (some sort of fire-rope type stuff), but how do i totally seal all cracks, gaps and holes??? Does anyone have experience of this burner?? Can it be sorted?? It actually works well after a couple of hours, but by then we have been sitting in a very smoky boat for 2 hours!! Incidentally, despite the different design (tall and thin, opposed to short and squat) it does seem quite useful to be able to fill out from the upper door, so if we can seal it then maybe it will ultimately be a great thing. Anyone?

cheers!!!

To stop it smoking then the 'draw' on the chimney must be sufficient to 'suck' the smoke and the CO upwards and outwards.

To improve 'draw' the chimney should be of sufficient size and hight

Also when lighting the stove do not overload it, start small and as the stove/ flue/ chimney warms draw will improve.

Edited by bottle