12v din sockets

Ex- Member

Featured Posts

I've been using 12v DIN plugs & sockets for years on the boat, they're far superior to standard fag lighter rubbish and make for much sturdier connections.

Anyway I realised I needed a couple of extra 12v outlets in the saloon as when we're on the water we'll be running the laptops direct from 12v and a recent addition of Omnimax aerial also requires periodic 12v use for the booster.

So I came up with this idea, rather than drilling 2 additional holes through paneling I would try to incorporate them in a 1 gang standard house socket along with the existing 12v socket in the paneling.

Drilling out 18mm holes in the blank wasn't easy, got there in the end though. All 3 sockets actually fitted inside the lining box along with the jumper wiring & crimp connectors to join them all, it is possible to fit 4 din sockets in a single gand, but I was using a metal blank and they have a thick earth strap on the inside back which interferes with drilling 2 holes on the lower rear section. Using a plastic blank would enable 4 sockets no problem though.

DSCF2215_zps15f7dc6b.jpg

Also came across these lap top chargers a bit more reasonably priced than most. Postage is £3.99 though

http://www.amazon.co.uk/electronics/dp/B0058GQEPQ

These models are the same price for almost any make laptop. They also have an LED voltage display which is a handy extra as you can easily check voltages at different socket outlets throughout the boat.

Did wonder about 12v Din Sockets. I thought most folk used the two pin plugs. But I agree that they provide a solid connection.

Came across this place for all things 12v. Prices appear competative abd at any rate it has a broad range of 12v kit.

http://www.the12voltshop.co.uk/Shop/

Just looked through their cooking section. They have a 12v Slow cooker! Now I use my mains one 225W (plus inverter overhead, hmm?!) all the time so this goes on my wish list!

Edited by Laurie St Lyon

I've been using 12v DIN plugs & sockets for years on the boat, they're far superior to standard fag lighter rubbish and make for much sturdier connections.

Anyway I realised I needed a couple of extra 12v outlets in the saloon as when we're on the water we'll be running the laptops direct from 12v and a recent addition of Omnimax aerial also requires periodic 12v use for the booster.

So I came up with this idea, rather than drilling 2 additional holes through paneling I would try to incorporate them in a 1 gang standard house socket along with the existing 12v socket in the paneling.

Drilling out 18mm holes in the blank wasn't easy, got there in the end though. All 3 sockets actually fitted inside the lining box along with the jumper wiring & crimp connectors to join them all, it is possible to fit 4 din sockets in a single gand, but I was using a metal blank and they have a thick earth strap on the inside back which interferes with drilling 2 holes on the lower rear section. Using a plastic blank would enable 4 sockets no problem though.

DSCF2216_zps417e48ad.jpg

Also came across these lap top chargers a bit more reasonably priced than most. Postage is £3.99 though

These models are the same price for almost any make laptop. They also have an LED voltage display which is a handy extra as you can easily check voltages at different socket outlets throughout the boat.

I also mentioned This lap top charger which arrived today, seems really good quality with nice thick cable. Strange thing is though the voltage reading it has on board reads 18.6v when I plug it into our 12v socket. There's a 6 pin mini din socket adaptor on the end that the laptop DC Jack goes into, if I remove the DC Jack the voltage drops to 15.2 volts.

When plugged into the laptop it reads back at 18.6v Really strange, not sure what's happening, I'm thinking that as the unit is set up for specifically for my make lap top that the optimum voltage for this lappy is 18.6. I'm guessing that when the DC jack is removed it reverts to the boats voltage, I wouldn't have thought my on board voltage was 15.2 though. So I've just checked and it's 12.6v which considering it's the point furthest from the battery bank there's probably some losses.

It seems to be happily charging the lap top though so we'll see how it goes LOL

Edited by Julynian

Did wonder about 12v Din Sockets. I thought most folk used the two pin plugs. But I agree that they provide a solid connection.

Came across this place for all things 12v. Prices appear competative abd at any rate it has a broad range of 12v kit.

http://www.the12voltshop.co.uk/Shop/

Just looked through their cooking section. They have a 12v Slow cooker! Now I use my mains one 225W (plus inverter overhead, hmm?!) all the time so this goes on my wish list!

Hi Laurie

The 12v shop is great I've bought a lot of electrical stuff from there including heavy battery cable.

I've always preferred these type Din sockets, A much better connection all round and far superior quality of fittings and a bit smaller and neater.

I would have thought losses on the power used by a slow cooker would be minimal so probably not worth the extra expense.