Question about fishing competitions

little duck!

Featured Posts

Our problem is not so much them being on the actual lock landings but fishing very close to them making the approach a lot more diffiult than it needs to be, it,s a particular problem at Syke house lock on the New Junction canal. Why the maggot drowners can't just move a few yards along completely confounds me.

Have you tried just not seeing them?

Last Saturday one casting back in caught my shirt, I felt something hit my back, it was the weight and hook caught in my shirt. Luckly the line snapped otherwise it might have pulled me in. We found a lot of line wrapped around the Tillar. Some do not move their rods completely away and leave them up above the boat with magots hanging and water dripping on your head.

There were CART signs for over 2 miles asking boaters not moor as this lengths has been rented to an angling club, it said thank you for this small favour, I don't think this is a small favour as after this the towpath edginging and reeds were 4 feet high and we could not moor for many miles.

Two years ago an angler lifted his rod and brought it along close to the roof of the boat and as it got about a foot away from my wife she went to push it away it snapped.

Have you tried just not seeing them?

If by that you mean just carry on as if they are not there and use the same approach angle as you would if they are not there then no I haven't.

Technically they are not actually doing anything wrong as they are not on the actual landing itself, so to carry on and risk damaging their equipment such as keep nets and poles would be wrong, as much as they make it difficult and more awkward than it need be - I see no need to go to that extreme (as tempting as it is).

Ed. This however is interesting from your earlier link.

Fishing is not allowed in lock chambers, within 25 metres (one boat length) of a lock approach, within 25 metres of a water point or in the vicinity of overhead powerlines.

My red.

If that means not including the landing then it would appear to be a breach of the rules. I think I may print that off for when I next pass, though that of course assumes they can read.

Edited by The Dog House