Moving the ceiling up

Ania

Featured Posts

Hi everyone!

I have just posted something on lowering the floor and now this one is on putting the ceiling higher up (6'1" - almost 6'2" so a bit of an issue with height).

I am thinking about putting a new wooden floor on our narrowboat and if we don't just rip the old ply out it will lower the height by another 2cm. Seeing that I already am touching ceiling at all times in the highest point of the boat and have to bend in others I am wondering whether we can't just put the ceiling a little up.

We had a look yesterday at around one of the portholes and it seems that there is about 4cm gap between the insulation and the wood panel which forms a ceiling. Do you reckon I can just unscrew the ceiling boards, shave the battens and stick it back on? Or is it not a good thing to do? Does there need to be a gap? Is is necessary for i.e. insulation. There are additional panels on sides to access wiring so this wouldn't be a problem.

Would appreciate your help and expertise!

Cheers

Ania

Bite the bullet and rip up the floor. Then lay the new floor direct onto the steel supports. For the roof insulation keeps you warm and cool remove it and replace with higher spec vapor blocking board. you can screw directly onto the steel cross members but people use batons for easy fitting. where do you need the headroom?