Looking for recon engine

Waterways Jim

Featured Posts

My engine has seen better days and I reckon I need a new one - well reconditioned one I spose, as a new one looks rather expensive.  What I would like is for someone to take out the old and put in the recon.  An aquaintance who claims to know something of marine engines told me I could have a company do this for about £2500. When I questioned him, he said "Call your engine manufacturers".  When I called Lister Petter, they couldn't help at all with 2nd hand engines.

My location is Upware Marina nr Ely, Cambridgeshire. I need at least a 4-cylinder to power my 56' narrow boat.

Any ideas out there.

Hopeful...

J.

:angry:

Edited by Waterways Jim

Hi Jim.

What make / model of engine is in your boat now. It would be much easier and cheaper to change or overhaul like for like.

Unfortunately, I have minimal info. When I bought the boat, I was given no details about the engine. All I can tell you is that it's a Lister Petter 4 cylinder. I had a good look last time on the boat, but came up with nothing else.

Is there somewhere in particular I should look for model details. I spose I could take a pic or 2 of it when I go up this w/e for you to peruse.

Thanks for your reponse,

Jim.

Also, have you considered simply get the current engine reconditioned?

Daniel

Well, that is a possibility I spose.  We had a survey done prior to buying which may have some clues in it, but I just looked for it & must have left it on the boat.

Anyway, I'll get some pics done over the w/e.

Jim.

Hi Jim.

The engine will be a fairly modern unit and well worth while overhauling and much lower cost compared to a new engine. There are plenty of companies who could do a good job for you but there are some cowboys too, try to go off personal recommendations. This forum would be a good start.

Usually two main types of "recon". Top end, which is essentially the cylinder head, valves combustion chambers, cams etc. And the Bottom end, this is probably the expensive bit, crank, bores, pistons etc.

Or both of course.

If your going for the whole hog make sure your price includes the injection pump, oil pump and injectors as these alone can cost two or three hundred quid for a refurb.

Consider other bits that bolt on to the engine, starter, lift pump, alternator. Most engine recons that you will buy probably wont have any of these, maybe not even an injection pump.

Well I'll freely admit I'm no expert.

But almost certainly a "Lister Petter Canal Star" engine.

Link to a site with some pictures

Another link (Beware PDF document)

I don't know how these have changed over the years, but it looks like the "Canal Star 36", presumably so called because it's a 36 BHP unit.

I agree with all previous posters.

This should have been a very good engine when first fitted, so unless it has had some serious abuse, rebuilding it is almost certainly to be far more cost effective, and yield a better engine cheaper than you would end up with if you go for out and out replacement.

I don't know when these were first built, but it certainly is NOT going to be a very old engine, I think.

Peter Thompson's site features these, so, as you already know, he's a very obvious starting point.

Thanx Alan,

I am awaiting a quote from Peter Thompson. The boat was built in 1982, so engine probably new then.

It seems the concensus is to fix/rebiuld the current engine, so I'll bow to you guys' experience and probably go that way.

I have to say that my engine doesn't look quite like the pics of the Canal Star 36.

Edited by Waterways Jim