Things I discovered on my first trip

Steve Smyth

Featured Posts

Here's a list of things I discovered on our first ever canal boat trip. I'd like if people (new or "experienced") added to it-

1) The canal, the bridge holes and the aqeducts all seem wider on the way back than on the way out.

2) Canal water is not really water-rather a semi organic collection of water, weeds, runoff, crisp packets, dead rabbits and other unmentionable materials

3) A 10 ton boat will not suddenly stop because one man and a rope want it to stop-It will end up stopping about 25 yards past where you originally intended.

4) Halfway through the Audlem flight is a bad time to ask your crew who picked this canal

5) On every trip- at least one "lock troll" will accuse you of pinching "his lock" even though he was clearly moored up a the watering point below it. (Audlem town lock-in front of the Shroppie Fly- 2 weeks ago-you know who you are "-) )

6) Said 10 ton narrowboat will be affected by the wind MUCH more than you ever thought it would be. It is possible to navigate a canal at almost a 45 degree angle becasue of the wind- you also have to be ready for when the wind suddenly stops

7) Swans, although quite majestic, are the equivalant of water borne gangs. If you sneak up on them, they are likely to be lounging about looking quite sloppy. Suddenly, when they see you, it's almost as though one says to the other "ere then 'Erbert, put out that fag and look majestic, theres another boat!" They then scramble for the middle of the canal all wings and legs and assume the "position" in order to look for food offerings. After you go by, they assume the sullen yob look again until the next boat goes by.

8) 50% of dog owners can't read and/or don't know what dog "foul" is on a cartpath

9) For the most part, Rental/hire boats seem to slow down more past moored boats. Maybe they don't want to be yelled at by the others

10) finally- it is the best, most addictive, most worthwhile vacation I have taken in my life. If the airfare from Canada was more reasonable, Id do it annually- as it is, I may have to wait another year or so for the next trip.

Cheers to all

Steve

NB Fond Memories

I remember waking up the first morning of my first canal trip and thinking 'wow, there's water', becasue I'd never spent a night afloat before then.

And i always find it amusing when you are sitting in your boat eating tea or whatever and people walk past on the towpath and all you see is lots of legs and feet!