stove goo

SuzyQ

Featured Posts

Noticed the other day that there was a sort of dark goo under the multi fuel stove. At the time I thought maybe I'd spilt a bit of tea or something and some coke dust got in it. But, whilst having a tidy, today I noticed it had returned.

It's not a lot and seems to have come from a bolt on the underside. I'm not sure why it's happening and, therefore, if I should be worried.

Had a good search on here, but can't find a similar thread which has only proved to make me feel a little uneasy. There's many a question I haven't needed to ask since I got to grips with the 'search'. And this is the first time I've been completely stumped.

Can anyone help shed some light on this stovey ectoplasm? Cheers muchly in advance.

Sounds like tar from the fuel.

Alternatively, has there been some water ingress somewhere onto the outside of the stove? We've had water get in around the flange on the roof and run down the outside of the flue onto the stove top. It boiled away, making a fearful stink, and left behind a gooey mess. Could your goo result from something similar where the water has run to the underside of the stove & dripped off the bolt?

I would think that it was unburnt tar from your fuel - - if you were burning 'green' timber that would be more likely.

If it's a deposit from the coal or logs - it suggests that it may be very poor quality housecoal (is it smoky?), or that the stove isn't burning very hot?

OR - that your flue desperately (and I mean desperately) needs cleaning

Sounds like tar from the fuel.

Alternatively, has there been some water ingress somewhere onto the outside of the stove? Could your goo result from something similar where the water has run to the underside of the stove & dripped off the bolt?

That's possible, it has been pretty wet round here recently. I will go and check the sealing around the flue on the outside. Although there's no obvious dribbling on the stove. Perhaps the rain got in when we've had the chimney off navigating low bridges. Will have to get something to cover it when we can't use the chimney.

I would think that it was unburnt tar from your fuel - - if you were burning 'green' timber that would be more likely.

If it's a deposit from the coal or logs - it suggests that it may be very poor quality housecoal (is it smoky?), or that the stove isn't burning very hot?

OR - that your flue desperately (and I mean desperately) needs cleaning

Coal seems ok and stove is toasty, with no leaky or blue smoke, but will give the flue a good brush. Not sure what the best thing to use is other than a small Victorian malnourished child. Will do a search on DIY flue brooms.

Thanks both for giving me some good hints.

Has your stove got a back boiler? If so, then the fact that the 'goo' has collected only under the stove and not on the flue or stove exterior would lead me to suspect a leak in that.

Thanks Mac, but nothing as sophisticated as a back boiler on Meg. Am pretty convinced that it was rain getting in to the flue now. Haven't had goo since deploying extra anti-rain procedures.

Thanks Mac, but nothing as sophisticated as a back boiler on Meg. Am pretty convinced that it was rain getting in to the flue now. Haven't had goo since deploying extra anti-rain procedures.

Good oh....

(and all chandleries (and Ebay) sell 4~5" flue brushes for a few £'s)

( sweep our flue every two months as a matter of good routine)

Good oh....

(and all chandleries (and Ebay) sell 4~5" flue brushes for a few £'s)

( sweep our flue every two months as a matter of good routine)

Thanks G&F. Yes, have ordered and am looking forward to seeing how much mess I can avoid making. Only trouble with eBay is the other half always finds whatever I buy comes with a free gift, quite often in a separate parcel and completely unrelated to the original purchase ;D